Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Heart or lung shot

Old 07-05-2010, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Question Heart or lung shot

For those of you who have hunted with a Bow for many years and have taken many Deer,which do you most often aim for,the heart or the lungs? My first Deer was a heart shot and he did not go far,should I continue to aim there or is the lung a better choice?
Old 07-05-2010, 07:31 AM
Typical Buck

I guess it depends on the situation, I usually take the first shot Im confident I can make. If its a heart shot so be it, same with a lung shot. They both result in dead deer so they both work.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:36 AM
Typical Buck

ive always felt the lungs give you more lee way on your shot seeing as the are much bigger than the heart. again as podunk said its all about what you feel confident with and if you dont take the first lung shot you get then that heart shot might never show up or vice versa. it all really depends on the situation. great topic

-storm
Old 07-05-2010, 07:43 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by doetrain
For those of you who have hunted with a Bow for many years and have taken many Deer,which do you most often aim for,the heart or the lungs? My first Deer was a heart shot and he did not go far,should I continue to aim there or is the lung a better choice?
My dad always tells me, if its not broke, don't fix it. Keep doing what your doing.

So your from Jeffersonville, Indiana huh?? Been there to play AAU Basketball. Great place!!!
Old 07-05-2010, 08:18 AM
Fork Horn

The lungs are alot bigger target to hit than the heart. If you happen to get a low hit aiming for the heart, you might never find that deer.

I say go for the lungs.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I always aim for the heart but not necessarily cause Im trying to hit it, I aim there cause I find deer often drop down at the sound of the shot , if they do, I still hit the lungs (which I prefer) if not, I still get the heart and lower lungs.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Aim 4 the lungs...heats a bonus.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:07 AM
Fork Horn

aim for the lungs eat the heart
Old 07-05-2010, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think your better off aiming for the lungs... Much bigger target and more room for error!!!

Just a public land hunters 2cents...

Last edited by Mr. Longbeard; 07-05-2010 at 10:05 AM.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:47 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Iowabucks44
The lungs are alot bigger target to hit than the heart. If you happen to get a low hit aiming for the heart, you might never find that deer.

I say go for the lungs.
I'm with you! I take the shot where there is a bigger kill area,thus a clean kill. Works for me!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.