Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Buck Behavior - Will I see him again? >

Buck Behavior - Will I see him again?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Buck Behavior - Will I see him again?

Old 06-19-2010, 09:53 AM
Typical Buck

Default Buck Behavior - Will I see him again?

I bowhunt a small tract of urban woods near my house. I attract them using corn (its legal). Last year, I shot a doe opening day and the rest of the season, focused on a 7 point I saw on my trail cam.

Last season, I shot under the 7 point due to miss judging distance. The arrow flight was perfect left to right so I thought I made a great shot. The arrow was clean, but I decided to look a little closer. After walking just 20 yards toward the bucks escape route and he saw me and snorted while running off. That was the last time I hunted the spot last year.

Tuesday, I put out my trail cam in the same spot with some corn. I had 75 photo's in 3 days. All does and racoons. Last year I passed on numerous does, spikes, 4pts, and a 5pt in this spot. The 7pt is clearly the dominate buck. Not a monster, but the biggest deer behind my house.

My question is, will the buck associate this location (with corn) as danger after a year has passed. Will he show himself again. I do not believe there are any other bait sites in the area. I've only had the trail cam out for 3 days, so I know I'll have my answer in due time, just want to hear from others experiences with spooked deer.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Deer are spooked by people all the time in their woods. He didn't really know what an arrow was and seeing you shouldn't have scared him that much. He was probably there the next day. Remember that deer range over several miles, depending on food, the rut and total deer numbers so there are probably several bucks of that size, and probably bigger, in that area.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just make sure this year You keep scent-free and have plenty of folage/cover up in your stand so the Buck doesn't see You....as long as he didn't know where the arrow came from you should be OK to hunt the same area again this year,or you could move your stand over a little ways from where You shot at him to be extra careful?