Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ticks,deer flys,skeeters

Old 06-10-2010, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Question Ticks,deer flys,skeeters

I would like some input on what everyone uses to fight the ticks,deer flys and skeeters during the warm part of the season when these tormentors are still active. I took a hike through my hunting area tuesday evening and was fighting these 3 pest the whole time I was out there. Last year I started hunting in late October so this was not a problem here in Indiana at that time of the year. Thanks
Old 06-10-2010, 07:50 AM
Fork Horn

I have always used Permethrin for the ticks. Just put it on your clothes and not your skin. Usually work for a few weeks once your clothes are treated. Plus its non scented.

The ThermoCell works great for flying insects. I believe you can get a holster to just strap it on your pants, and carry it around. This will keep them off you.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

+1 Sgt H's comments. However, the deer flies (yellow flies) won't be affected much by the Thermacell. They are just plain devilish.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also use the ThermaCell for flying insect/mosquito's....the ticks and chiggers are thick this year,I just shower real good after I go out!

I heard the UnderArmor clothing is good for keeping the ticks and chiggers off....not sure how hot its going to be during the summer months though?
Old 06-11-2010, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yup. Permathrin treated clothes for ticks and thermacell for skeeters. If you find something for deer flies, let me know!
Old 06-15-2010, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Draw back of a Thermacell is that it does not perform well in even the slightest breeze. I guess the repellent is sent downwind or scattered too "thin" to be effective. Works great if it is still. I don't use mine any longer. Not worth the weight to me. Just one more too big a thing to carry. I carry a small bottle of 50% Deet. Does the trick keeping bugs with teeth off of me .... but no doubt deer can scent it. Don't matter to me because I have found nothing that really works all that well to keep deer downwind from scenting me .... except being high and as clean with scent free soaps as practical.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

As everyone has said, Thermacell if you are sitting still and it is not windy. Works great in a blind during turkey season.

I use the Repel Brand of spray, available at Walmart. I use the Permanone on my clothing and the 40% deet on any exposed skin. I am sure I must own stock in the company by now. lol Not sure if it works on deer flys as I never see them. lol Doh, it must. But it workd wonders on ticks and chiggers. Always make sure to cover your pants fly well, as unzipping to go to the bathroom gives them an open door to get in.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

And once the chiggers get ya >>>>>>>>>>>ChiggerEX
Old 06-15-2010, 08:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here's the ThermaCell in the holster. Got a couple compartments for extra repellent pads and fuel cells.

Just got some more refill packs (3 pads/1 fuel cell in each pack) on clearance.

But like said, if the wind takes the scent away ThermaCells don't work.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Again, Thermacell... all day long. It's just awesome!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.