Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shotgun range?

Old 07-09-2003, 02:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Shotgun range?

ORIGINAL: Tazman

I have seen just as many deer wounded with slugs by idiots who think they can take a shot at 150 yards with a slug
Taz,
I' m sure you meant idiots who dont know how to take a 150 yd shot with a slug gun.
Old 07-09-2003, 05:00 PM

You can shoot slugs out of your shot gun and oo buck no problem fire away, I would leave the Full choke with 1 Slug in the chamber then follow up with OO buck for if you had a bad shot or the decide for what ever the reason. I wouldnt waste the money on a slug barrell. Maybe find a used slug gun for sale, they can be found quit often especialy after deer season since the city slickers only hunt every so often..

my opinion shooting slugs at 150 yds. with out a scope is a little desperate! Better have a scope to improve the chances, but then again I still thing it is to far. I wouldnt go past 100yds. with a slug or buck shot, I did some testing last year with the 23/4 OO, at 80 yards and it was plenty good enough to shoot deer, 6 out of 9 pellets would get in a paper plate. The only reason I would load up a slug for the first shot is it I think if positioned correctly would be more damaging then follow up the OO...
Old 07-10-2003, 09:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Taz,
I' m sure you meant idiots who dont know how to take a 150 yd shot with a slug gun.
Droptine I am talking about slugs out of a smoothbore, I have never shot a slug out of a slug barrel so I can' t comment on it from experience, I have heard a lot of folks say with a scope 150 is doable.
Old 07-10-2003, 10:45 AM
Dominant Buck

No offense intended Tazman ,
I do know how effective buckshot can be , but as you pointed out some people think a shotgun can take a deer at excessive range . Sure don' t want a Devil Dog on my trail , I used to be Navy .
Old 07-10-2003, 11:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Several years ago I saw a breakdown on the ballistics of 2 3/4" , 3" , and 3 1/2" buckshot (00) and actually the 2 3/4" pellets had better performance due to there only being 9 - 00 pellets in the shell while using the same amount of powder. They may have changed that by now, I don' t know.
Old 07-10-2003, 11:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

kevin no offense taken, I do get a little upset when people say buckshot isn' t any good, I have always used with great success buckshot when the area I am hunting is very limited in regards to distance of shots. I am ex Air Force myself and there is no way I would mess with a group of Devil Dogs either!
Old 07-14-2003, 02:19 PM

putting pellets in a circle at XX yards with buckshot is only part of the question. how much energy is left at that range is just as important. I have no experience with buckshot, so I cant comment, but I would be careful that you have both the accuracy and the energy necessary to both kill a deer and kill it cleanly and efficiently before I did it. Oh, and just because one guy says that he once killed one at XX yards is not what I would call factual. Do your homework, contact the ammo maker, pattern the gun, etc. Good luck.