Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Flinching when pulling the trigger >

Flinching when pulling the trigger

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Flinching when pulling the trigger

Old 04-27-2010, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I feel like flinching must be due to bad trigger control, but I also think the points about not using hearing protection are valid (why wouldn't you use hearing protection when practicing?????). My slug gun has close to a 10 pound trigger and it kicks like a mule, yet I never flinch when shooting it. I concentrate in two areas only: the front sight and my trigger finger. Once I decide to fire, I just apply steady pressure to the trigger until it goes bang. The only thing that moves the front sight is the recoil. Dry fire practice is a must.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

thanks guys I'll have to buy some ear plugs...as far a 243 will a 30-30 work too cause thats all I have that and a 12 gauge 20 gauge and two .22's
Old 04-28-2010, 03:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

The 30-30 will work, assuming it's a lever gun the trigger isn't adjustable like a bolt, unless you stone the sear...

Is this just for hunting deer??? If so, you might want to look into buying a smaller caliber down the road...

I've been through this with 4 different buddies, had a heck of a time convincing them that they were flinching...You are over half way there if you realize this already...

Can you buy managed recoil rounds for a 7mm Mag??? If so, that might do the trick as well...Or get someone to reload them for you...
Old 04-28-2010, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shot a 7 magnum but I normally shoot a 30-30 and nope no ear protection
Ouch. 7mm Mag with no hearing protection. Not good. You can do irreversable damage to your hearing. And yeah, that could make you flinch.

30-30, hearing protection should be used as well. The plugs are lame. Get the ear muff type.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:02 AM
Banned

Which 30-30?

A 94 off the bench will give you a little smack in face if you're shooting open sights. The stock can catch you right at the cheek bone.

Shooting anything with hearing protection is a bad idea. 22 included.

the 7 goes without saying.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:19 PM
Spike

Get some snap caps and practice dry firing 3 times a week until it's second nature.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

hearing protection is a must...as said in almost every post...

soaking wet is the term...

is it a surprise when the gun goes off...you should squeeze the trigger ever so slightly until it surprisingly goes off in your hands.
you should be concentrating on the scope...
not just say shoot and yank on the trigger on a hope and a prayer that it hits what you were aiming at just nano seconds before you pulled the trigger.... lol

happens in youth where they have to big of a rifle and they just anticipate the shot....because of the kick!!!
shoot just a .22 lr or even shorts...that will help with the popping noise bothering you.
that 30-30 and 7mag kick about the same, dont think it will help the flinching...
take a few boxes of shells, go to the range and pull the trigger til your arm feels like hamburger...(remembering to let it cool and running a scrubber and patch through as needed)....
then shoot 10 more shots...you should be just grinning and bearing the pain....after a week or so..go back, and i bet it wont kick as hard as you remember, this will help..

another thing is...take your time to get in the bubble....aint a race...
takes my nephew, who is 17, 20 minutes longer to get into the bubble than my 11 year old daughter...
so sit, make sure you are firm, relaxed especially.

screw the target, empty the chamber, leave it open, look around down range, just watch the peoples targets around you, look at the bird in the tree, find a particular rock, or a flower..just look around get a feel fer the gun, before you shoot you should be able to hold the scope on a small rock and dry firing it to see if you are flinching, if so a lighter trigger is a good solution.....once you are comfortable with the weight of the rifle, this will help 1000%...
if your scared of getting scope eye, put on those safety glasses you should be wearing anyways..
sorry so long winded
Old 04-30-2010, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

thanks guys I agree with the hearing protection but I think my biggest problem is the kick of each gun well more than anything they might not kick bad but I cant convince myself hey this wont kick to bad..I can tell myself all I want but at the end I'll still flinch...afew years ago I was bout to shoot a doe pulled the trigger and didnt have a shell in and b4 I completly squeezed the trigger I was amost at the sky line I flinched so freaken bad people have told me slow trigger squeeze...tell myself to calm down and the slow trigger squeeze i havent quite mastered but I can tell my self all day long this wont kick and I still end up flinch over the target
Old 04-30-2010, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

then the hamburger trick will do great..gl
Old 05-01-2010, 05:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Different types of rifles with the same caliber and same cartridge will kick in various rates. I have an old Rem .270 that use to kick like a mule, very unpleasant to shoot. I put a Sims Limbsaver recoil pad on it and now it is a pleasure to shoot. A good recoil pad will probably help you with the other suggestions also.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.