Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Flinching when pulling the trigger >

Flinching when pulling the trigger

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Flinching when pulling the trigger

Old 04-26-2010, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Flinching when pulling the trigger

Ok the past 2-3 year's I have gotten bad about flinching when I pull the trigger..if I am using a gun with a scope I'll flinch..but if I have a shotgun I'll never flinch .22 no flinch I know why I flinch afew years ago I missed 9! times in a day 9 times!After that every time I shoot I get nervous and flinch..I've told myself to calm down I've tried to clear my head but nothing has helped...I wanted to ask WAYY!!!Before season so I could work on my shooting.What do I do?I really need some advice!
Old 04-26-2010, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

before you shoot do a few dry fires. lighten your trigger. mount your scope as far forward as it can go. pull the buttstock tight to your shoulder. get a good recoil pad.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

thank ya much
Old 04-26-2010, 02:58 PM
Typical Buck

DBH more or less nailed it. Do you wear ear protection at the range? What caliber rifle do you shoot and how big are you?
Old 04-26-2010, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Last year I shot a 7 magnum but I normally shoot a 30-30 and nope no ear protection..as far as big height wise bout 5'9 or so weight 120 or so
Old 04-26-2010, 04:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Hunting Kuk
Last year I shot a 7 magnum but I normally shoot a 30-30 and nope no ear protection..as far as big height wise bout 5'9 or so weight 120 or so
There is your problem...
1) No hearing protection, I have constant ringing in the ears from running chainsawa, rock concerts in the 70s and shooting without hearing protection...This also makes you flinch...

2) The 7mm Mag...You'd be suprised how good you would shoot if you stepped down to a .243...

My size...6ft 5, about 250, I've shot a .243 over 30 years...
Old 04-26-2010, 05:26 PM
Typical Buck

Im 6'1 and 230, Recoil doesnt bother me i just dont care for it. Loud noise causes flinching more than recoil in my experience. Your subconciously antisipating the shot and flinching.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's all about using double hearing protection.

So use ear plugs and muffs over top of those.

Get someone to drop in each round as you shoot and slip in a "snap cap" every 4-6 rounds, as you concentrate on your normal shot routine.

You'll be back to your normal self in no time !
Old 04-26-2010, 06:24 PM
Spike

I'm 6'1" 130lbs soak and wet, I shoot a .270 with no flinching problem at all. I think the flinching problem is the anticipation of the recoil and/or the noise. I shot my friends 30.06 and flinched everytime. The recoil was uncomfortable to me. Hearing protection is a must!! I got a AR15 (.223) that has no recoil but is loud as hell. I'll flinch with it too if I happen to fire off a round with no hearing protection. Just practice with the .243 WITH hearing protection and when it gets time to pull the trigger on a big buck, you won't even notice the noise. Just don't get "buck fever", I've done that too.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:24 AM
Fork Horn

Absolutely use hearing protection. If you are shooting off a bench, you get additional blast from the bench or shooting enclosure, making doubly important. I am a pretty big guy, but allways wear a heavy sweater and coat when shooting, or pad my shoulder if firing more than a few shots. Things add up to create a flinch. Practice dry firing each day, (first of course double ensuring an empty weapon with magazine, etc. removed). Pick a fine spot on a wall, practice the slow squeeze, breathing and follow through. You need to re-learn habits to break the flinch habit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.