Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Hunting from a tree stand vs. from ground... >

Hunting from a tree stand vs. from ground...

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting from a tree stand vs. from ground...

Old 03-06-2010, 04:06 PM
Fork Horn

[QUOTE=IL-Cornfed ;3588755]I beg to differ. I don't believe it's even remotely close!

I've done a fair amount of hunting from ground blinds and they are far more difficult to conceal and keep undetected from mature animals! You may be able to fool the younger and inexperienced animals but mature animals are VERY spooky when in close to ground blinds that aren't made ofnatural cover.

When serious pursuit of a mature animal is the goal... I would MUCH rather take to the trees at a height of 20 to 25 feet with plenty of cover to break my outline.[/QUOTE

Let's put it this way one buck I shot a few yrs. ago I couldn't get from a tree stand because he was always late coming out plus always changing his habits. Towards the end of the season I decided to follow his coming and goings and opted to ambush him on the ground, no blinds just standing corn for a cover. With proper wind and ambush site everything came together and I was rewarded with a 10 yard shot and a buck I wouldn't have had if I have not opted for the ground.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:01 AM
Spike

I prefer a stand because I can see alot of terrain from up there. I also feel I have greater odds of at least seeing a deer and maybe find a better place to put up my stand on the next hunt. Once I have hunted a property in several locations, then I can pick a good place to put a blind or a permanent stand.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:59 AM
Fork Horn

I rarely hunt on the ground unless I absolutely cannot get a stand in where I want it to be. I was fortunate enough to harvest 2 this year from the ground, having never sat on the ground in my life with a bow. My reasoning for hunting out of a tree 90% of the time is due to my sight which is a pendulum.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:34 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by markmon007
I prefer a stand because I can see alot of terrain from up there. I also feel I have greater odds of at least seeing a deer and maybe find a better place to put up my stand on the next hunt. Once I have hunted a property in several locations, then I can pick a good place to put a blind or a permanent stand.

Well that definitely depends on the woods you're hunting. With so many low lying trees in most of the woods I hunt in MD, I can typically only see about 20 to 50 yds from most trees. On the ground in that same spot, I may be able to see as far as 100, doubling my distance. That being said, I still prefer hunting from a tree, but use both.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:55 PM
Spike

i hunt mainly from a tree saddle much much more versitile then a climber, i rarely use my blind, but will sometimes
Old 03-12-2010, 03:41 AM
Typical Buck

i have a tree stand that i might as well sell. only used it 6 times. i'm a ground hunter and don't even use/own a blind. all i need is a tree to lean/sit back against and no other cover is needed.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:36 AM
Spike

Default tree stands or ground blinds

Originally Posted by huntrfishr
Most will hunt from the tree stand but certain areas I prefer to shoot from the ground.
What's your preference guys? I personally think both is about equal in terms of success.I even prefer to be on the ground when air temp is cooling down, as cold air current pushes your scent to ground level making being in a tree stand a disadvantage.
When you do use a tree stand, how high do you go?
I prefer about 15ft. and no higher so I can get a sure shot at the heart or get to shoot double lungs.
OK let's hear it from the experts down here.
Hi Huntrfishr

I have just joined the forum so this is my first post.I live in england and, most of my farm deer control takes place out of a high seat over farmland,i find that when you have large groups in front of you its easier to pick the one you want.you are right about success when the rut is on,when those stags and bucks start getting at it,i recon i could stalk them with tin cans tied to my legs.I think that its your personal choice with what you feel comfortable with.

Regards,
Chinese Water Deer.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:54 AM
Spike

Default tree stands or ground blinds

Originally Posted by huntrfishr
Most will hunt from the tree stand but certain areas I prefer to shoot from the ground.
What's your preference guys? I personally think both is about equal in terms of success.I even prefer to be on the ground when air temp is cooling down, as cold air current pushes your scent to ground level making being in a tree stand a disadvantage.
When you do use a tree stand, how high do you go?
I prefer about 15ft. and no higher so I can get a sure shot at the heart or get to shoot double lungs.
OK let's hear it from the experts down here.
Hi Huntrfishr

I have just joined the forum so this is my first post.I live in england and, most of my farm deer control takes place out of a high seat over farmland,i find that when you have large groups in front of you its easier to pick the one you want.you are right about success when the rut is on,when those stags and bucks start getting at it,i recon i could stalk them with tin cans tied to my legs.I think that its your personal choice with what you feel comfortable with.

Regards,
Chinese Water Deer.