Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Hunting from a tree stand vs. from ground... >

Hunting from a tree stand vs. from ground...

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting from a tree stand vs. from ground...

Old 03-04-2010, 09:10 AM
Fork Horn

Default Hunting from a tree stand vs. from ground...

Most will hunt from the tree stand but certain areas I prefer to shoot from the ground.
What's your preference guys? I personally think both is about equal in terms of success.I even prefer to be on the ground when air temp is cooling down, as cold air current pushes your scent to ground level making being in a tree stand a disadvantage.
When you do use a tree stand, how high do you go?
I prefer about 15ft. and no higher so I can get a sure shot at the heart or get to shoot double lungs.
OK let's hear it from the experts down here.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt both ground blinds and climbers and it depends on the situation.

Ground blind
Pros- easy to get in and out of,
can sleep without worrying about falling out of tree,
good when the weather is incliment,
and an option when you can't find a tree to climb.

Cons-
restricted field of vision,
wary deer will always know where the blind is and be wary of it regardless of how well you have brushed it in, and how long it has been there,
brush in has to be refreshed periodically.

Climber/tree stand
Pros-Climbers are portable enough that you could hunt several hunt sites in as many days,
less restrictive field of vision and the ability to see over brush and smaller trees to prepare for a shot,
less claustrophobic

Cons-
You have to find a tree that your stand will fit on,
you have to climb the tree,
not as easy to sleep,
not comfortable when raining, snowing, or really cold,
more chance of injurying yourself.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

You will never find me up a tree...............I prefer to still hunt !
Old 03-04-2010, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer to hunt from a blind in colder temps and treestands in warmer temps. That being said I find it a lot easier to stay in a tree stand for longer periods when it's warm out. I also like to walk around and still hunt during the midday.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:44 AM
Fork Horn

I always try to use elevation as an advantage so I prefer tree stands but if I'm still hunting I try to use elevation to my advantage when ever possible.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:47 AM
Typical Buck

Wink

I hunt both ways actually. My tree stands are set up for wind direction that will be predominate when the foilage is gone, usually November. Earlier in the season the wind will not be right when I can hunt. Thats when I still hunt w/ ghillie. I love to get down on the ground and mix it up with them in their living room, no better feeling, the excitement, heart pounding, adrenalin flowing to the extreme, thats what hunting is all about for me. I can get pretty lazy up in the tree, still hunting keeps my skeeeels sharp, and my senses even sharper. When the leaves fall, you can bet your last dollar I'm in that tree.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I enjoy both but I prefer ground blinds.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:51 PM
Typical Buck

Depending on the terrain I like to ease around myself.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:25 PM
Fork Horn

I use both but prefer ground blinds I like the freedom to move around some without being detected when I do use treestands I go 15-20 feet up
Old 03-04-2010, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Not a personal choice

Choosing between the tree stand and the ground was never a personal choice. I had hunted for years in colder climates and was satisfied with ground locations. Especially with all the leaves gone from the trees.

Going south, I noticed that I had to change, regardless. First the heat produced sweat. In areas with leaves on the trees, far later, it made the sweat more noticeable to the deer, in the closer encounters in the forests and woods. With the heat, the sweat, and leaves on trees, close encounters convinced me, tree stands made sense. On the ground, the deer scent of me, beat me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.