Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Hunting from a tree stand vs. from ground... >

Hunting from a tree stand vs. from ground...

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting from a tree stand vs. from ground...

Old 03-04-2010, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by huntrfishr
I personally think both is about equal in terms of success.
I beg to differ. I don't believe it's even remotely close!

I've done a fair amount of hunting from ground blinds and they are far more difficult to conceal and keep undetected from mature animals! You may be able to fool the younger and inexperienced animals but mature animals are VERY spooky when in close to ground blinds that aren't made ofnatural cover.

When serious pursuit of a mature animal is the goal... I would MUCH rather take to the trees at a height of 20 to 25 feet with plenty of cover to break my outline.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:57 PM
Typical Buck

im very big on videoing so it is more convinient with a ground blind but with a little technology it is just as easy in a tree stand but in all reality ive had just as much sucess in a treestand as well as on the ground in a blind. and just my 2 cents but we killed a 4 1/2 yr old and a 6 1/2 year old out of a the same blind and i missed a 3 1/2 140 out of that blind in about a month or so
Old 03-04-2010, 05:21 PM
Fork Horn

I prefer hunting from a stand, but I have a lot of areas I hunt where there are no good trees to set up or there's too many lower trees like hollies that block a good view from a stand. I have shot most of my mature bucks from a tree, but then again, I've only started hunting from blinds the past two seasons.

BTW - I unfortunately find it a whole lot easier to comfortably fall asleep in my Summit than the chairs in my blinds w/o a head rest.

Mike
Old 03-04-2010, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt in the SE USA. Lots of god sized trees. Prefer tree stand. Usually use a climber. Set-up as high as I can go, and work my way to limb/leaf cover .... up to 25' - 30' off the ground. Have several steel ladders out. All are 16' to 20' to the seat. Cannot recall last time I "ground hunted" deer. Probably mid-1970's ??
Old 03-04-2010, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I almost always hunt from my climber , its just so much easier to spot game, and stay concealed. I will always be ready to shoot while walking back to the truck though, ya never know what ya might kick up.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MichaelH
BTW - I unfortunately find it a whole lot easier to comfortably fall asleep in my Summit than the chairs in my blinds w/o a head rest.

Mike
Yeah, my Summit Titan is pretty comfortable, but I have a big old chair in my ground blind that is just as comfortable. I'm thinking about putting a big old recliner in there next year.

Someone mentioned the wind as a consideration. That is an advantage to a climber, IMO, because I can reposition to another stand site depending on the wind and how I want to hunt it.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I deer hunt the prairie....what's a treestand ? With tens of thousands of acres of land to hunt on the prairie the odds are pretty low that some hapless deer will mosey by close enough to one of the four trees. Spot and stalk all the way.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Depends on what kind of hunting you are talking about. Bow hunting I've had much more success out of a tree stand, although I have taken a couple deer shooting out of a ground blind.

However, I prefer a ground blind later in the season when hunting with a muzzleloader. Sure, the deer sometimes notice that it's there, but they don't pay much attention to it from 100 yards out - that's the range I usually take them down.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:41 AM
Spike

I hunt only public ground and have no confidence in a ground blind because I can't leave it up to let the deer get used to it. If I left it up, it would be stolen within days. I love hunting 20-25feet up and prefer it over any method. I like to be able to see the deer from a distance because it helps me adjusts my set ups and lets me analyze the bucks I may shoot.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:55 AM
Spike

For the past 35 years I have used both portable tree stands and blinds. As I got older, portable stands become an added burden and I have elected to hunt from the ground.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.