Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Who's deer should this be?

Old 01-18-2010, 05:25 PM
Spike

hunter b.whoever makes the killing shot.if they are just helping and a friend then i'd say hunter a and if i was hunter b i'd give it to them anyway.if it was just you by yourself and a random hunter sees the deer and shoots it before it's dead then it's their deer.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

A not like hunter B was actually "hunting" the buck
Old 01-18-2010, 05:38 PM
Banned

Hunter A should say "Thank you" to Hunter B. Then the two should drag it out skin it together, process it, divide it in half and maybe have a beer. Then Hunter A, being a gentleman, should offer the antlers to Hunter B.

Then Hunter A should learn how to shoot, just as the OP should learn some grammar.

There is an entire aspect of hunting that has been absolutely forgotten...
Old 01-18-2010, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

The very same thing happened to me and a friend this past muzzleloader season. I made a drive for him and jumped up a small 4pt. buck. He made a poor shot on the deer, knocked it down but it got back up and ran away. After looking at the faint blood trail, I decided that we had better wait a while before looking for the deer. We went to another section of the farm and he made a drive for me but nothing showed. After about 2 hours I returned to where he shot the buck and I put him on a stand out past where he shot the buck hoping that if it jumped up again he'd get it before it went onto some posted property. After about 1 hr. of tracking and back tracking, I jumped the buck up but it wasn't going toward his stand. I radioed him and told him I had located his buck but it was still alive. He responded" shoot it if you can" which I promptly did. When he got to where I was he asked "who's buck is it?" I said it's yours. He was my guest on this hunt and he was perfectly willing to give me the deer but I wouldn't have felt right about it. I killed one of my own before we got back to the truck and he was more excited about my kill than his. Good sportsmanship makes for memorable hunts.

Last edited by WVCritter; 01-18-2010 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:02 PM
Spike

I know a few years back there was a big dispute over a deer that someone had shot and it ran in front of another hunter.The other hunter shot it and dropped it.The Game Commission was called and they said the law was whoever made the killing shot gets the deer.I know that's not very clear but I guess that's the law here.Determining "the killing shot" would be kinda hard if the first shot was a good enough one to kill it and the second person shot it in the leg or something but they put it on the ground.Through the Game Commission's eyes atleast.I agree with vabyrd and they should share it.And i agree with WVcritter about not feeling right about taking the deer especially from a friend.I guess it all depends on the situation.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:03 PM
Fork Horn

A
Old 01-18-2010, 06:36 PM
Fork Horn

its A's deer in this situation, but if u wanna go by the law, it's B's deer, if B is any sort of friend tho im sure he would never even THINK about the deer being his
Old 01-18-2010, 06:51 PM
Spike

Default A

Mr. B was there to help Mr. A, so A gets the kill.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Without a doubt, it's A's deer.

A few times over the years we have had to follow a blood trail after one of 'us' fired the shot. It never occured to any of us that the killing shot gets the deer. We are always there to help our buddies. That could mean help dressing a deer, help dragging a deer or help finding a wounded deer. We help each other, never getting into a pissing contest of who's deer it is.

That's what friends do!
Old 01-18-2010, 07:51 PM
Fork Horn

A for sure

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.