Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Processing (butcher) Deer Meat Charges >

Processing (butcher) Deer Meat Charges

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Processing (butcher) Deer Meat Charges

Old 01-05-2010, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Processing (butcher) Deer Meat Charges

Are there any states, east of the Mississippi River, where meat processors are charging a fee, when the deer, is delivered? Rather than waiting to get paid on meat pickup.

What is the extra processor charge for gutting a deer, in your area?

Personally I have to ask, as it's been a few decades for me to use a deer processor. And we don't have to go into how cheap I am to spend money, and for how long.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I dunno because I've never used one. I enjoy doing it myself. I'm told there's a processor nearby who'll do it for $75, which includes burgers, sausage, etc. That's sounds like a great deal to me, but part of the reason I got into hunting was to not have to pay for meat (got a ways to go to cover the cost of the guns and gear though, but it will happen).

As for whether or not they take payment up front or in arrears, I'm not sure. I doubt any processor would take game not field dressed, but like I said, I've never used one. Are there people that hunt that won't field dress? Seems those people shouldn't be hunting, IMO.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Alot of processors want the money up front unless you have an established relationship with them. They don't want to get the shaft. If they are paid up front and you are a no-show to pick up the meat they already have their due.

We always do our own gutting and most times skinning but last I looked I think they were like $15 for gutting.

This is in southern Illinois.

BUTCHERING WITH BASIC CUTS AND SOME GROUND
small deer $60
medium $70
big boys $80

Last edited by uncle matt; 01-05-2010 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:31 AM
Typical Buck

I don't know how far east you are looking, but in PA typical charges run 50-80 dollars in my area, just to have it skinned and quartered...anything on top of that, is priced per pound, specialty things like ground meat, jerky, bologna, etc.

The shop I used to cut at charged $60 flat rate, you were responsible for field dressing, if it wasn't field dressed, we wouldn't cut it. We would cut steaks and "chop" it out, but again, specialty items were extra.

I don't know the legality of shipping deer, sounds fishy.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

a lot charge $50-75 deposits when you drop the deer off
Old 01-05-2010, 07:49 AM
Fork Horn

I have two butchers - one in maryland and one in Virginia. Both charge $10 to gut the deer. Basic butchering is $60 in Maryland and $70 in Virginia. Ground meat costs more per pound in Maryland. If I recall, the price of summer sausage was the same for both - though I don't remember what that was. The last deer I had processed (In virginia) was $99 total - and I got a lot of ground meat and 3 sausages.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:39 AM
Typical Buck

Hi Uncle Mat! I am just curious about the picture of your hand with the carbon arrow in it. How did that happen? I am just curious as it looks pretty painful. I have had a couple of strings blow up on me while shooting crossbows, but I have never seen anything like what is on your picture. It sounds pretty interesting.....Bud-
Old 01-05-2010, 09:09 AM
Fork Horn

I just paid $110 for a gutted deer, BUT I had most (except the loins) made into sausage, including about 15 Lbs of Summer Sausage. That's in NW Fl & believe me, if you tasted the sausage, you'd say it's worth it!
Old 01-05-2010, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by countertop
I have two butchers - one in maryland and one in Virginia. Both charge $10 to gut the deer. Basic butchering is $60 in Maryland and $70 in Virginia. Ground meat costs more per pound in Maryland. If I recall, the price of summer sausage was the same for both - though I don't remember what that was. The last deer I had processed (In virginia) was $99 total - and I got a lot of ground meat and 3 sausages.

Can you take the deer to them and have them gut it for $10, then leave with it?......

I do my own butchering (and gutting). I haven't heard of anyone ever taking a non-field dressed deer to the processor, but it probably happens.

Around me the processors just started charging up front. I don't blame them. The first year my neighbor bought his ground, they killed upwards of 20 deer. The processing bill was over $1,000.00!
Old 01-05-2010, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

The place I take mine in SE IL is $80.00, thats for burger, steaks, etc etc. If you happen to be a dork and dont field dress it, he will charge you $25.00 on top of the 80. The best part is, it only take him a week during bow season or 2 weeks during gun season to get it back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.