Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

"That's not hunting"

Old 12-28-2009, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
whether anyone can walk or not has nothing to do with the statement about "patterning" deer for months, in the fall its a matter of the deer changing in as little as 2 weeks.
I'm sorry for your situation, I truly am, just stating what I have learned in 40 years of deer hunting here in the east, like I said, not my first rodeo.
RR
I think you're missing the fact that every states deer herds don't act the same as yours. Not everyone here is hunting on the same terrain as you. Every hunter on this site doesn't have the natural resources at their disposal that you do. It would be great if we did because then maybe your points would be somewhat valid to everyone here.... but they're not. I respect your experience and input a lot, as I imagine a lot of other members here do as well. It seems you've definitely spent a whole lot of time in the woods and it sounds like you know what you're doing. But for you to tell everyone they're doing it wrong is a little arrogant on your part. And before you start... I haven't told anyone here they're doing it wrong. Most of the contributors have merely offered their opinions. You just seem to be dictating what you feel is hunting gospel.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:13 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
whether anyone can walk or not has nothing to do with the statement about "patterning" deer for months, in the fall its a matter of the deer changing in as little as 2 weeks.
I'm sorry for your situation, I truly am, just stating what I have learned in 40 years of deer hunting here in the east, like I said, not my first rodeo.
RR

I've held back on this for a while but it's been bothering me...now that season is over, and I closed it well..I will end it with this..

Don't feel sorry for my situation....I don't...you don't know the circumstances involved, and it may have been from my own stupidity, it may have been serving my country.

I do everything I can 100%, I came to this board hoping the people here would help me, to give me ideas on how I could be a better hunter. I'm not here to get that "wall hanger", I'm here to fill my freezer to feed my family.
You can said what I do doesn't work,I will argue that....as shown in this thread
http://huntingnet.com/forum/trail-ca...back-yard.html

if it wasn't working would I have that activity in a couple weeks with my couple acres of property bordering 1500 that is unhunted with all the corn/wheat fields and ponds/creeks there are in the back? possibly, but I like to think I was doing something right....

each are entitiled to their opinions on what works, all I know I closed the season with a freezer that will feed my family over the off-season....

Last edited by bcrewcaptain; 01-02-2010 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is honestly the thousandth time ive seen a baiting thread in these forums
Old 01-02-2010, 06:25 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Chris_H
This is honestly the thousandth time ive seen a baiting thread in these forums

baiting is one thing, it's illegal in my state, you will never catch me perched over a feeder waiting for deer, however, using natural/native food in the area PRE season...is my dispute...
Old 01-02-2010, 09:31 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Horacio
This is the equivalent of politics and religion on these forums, apparently. As I said in another thread, hunting practices, techniques, and laws vary widely between regions and states. Deer in different areas have different behavioral patterns.

IMO, there is no 'right' answer, but plenty of people will tell you what is right for them and some of those will tell you that if you do it differently, you're wrong or worse.

In the end, the only people you have to satisfy are the law, the people you hunt with and near, and yourself.
AMEN, to each their own.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bcrewcaptain
baiting is one thing, it's illegal in my state, you will never catch me perched over a feeder waiting for deer, however, using natural/native food in the area PRE season...is my dispute...
Every deer hunter I've ever talked to down hunts or has hunted over a corn pile. Its just the way its done down here. I fail to see the difference from hunting a planted crop and hunting a corn pile... but to each his own.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SWThomas
Just my $0.02 but there are a lot of hypocrites and folks with "Holier than thou" attitudes here.

Hunting a foodplot or a feeder is just another advantage that some people employ to better their chances of taking an animal home. An advantage is an advantage. If someone uses a call, scent spray, or a special little device on their weapon of choice, how is that different than the hunter that chooses to use a feeder? It's still an advantage. Is it really your belief that your advantage is better than someone elses??? We're really splitting hair with semantics in this thread.

IMO, we all use advantages to help our chances. Some use foodplots, some use different kind of equipment. It's been said before that the only way you can really point a finger and be taken seriously is if you hunt with a sharpened stick while wearing a loin-cloth. Otherwise, we're all equal.
LMFAO!!!! I just waisted 30 minutes of my life reading this thread. However, it was worth it all to bust a lung laughing at this one.

Those of us who care, need to pay attention to what is happening to the average Joe, that loves to hunt. It's not how someone feels about the way you hunt, it's about what you're doing to the sport. I've always said, if it's legal, then I'm okay with it. I don't feel that way anymore. You have to be able to look at the big picture.

Last edited by SWThomas; 01-04-2010 at 08:20 AM.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:18 AM
Fork Horn

i dont really see a difference i dont hunt for sport i hunt for meat so whatever gets me a deer easyer is what i am going to do but like 7 62 said just really what ever you think is right
Old 10-29-2013, 10:54 AM
Fork Horn

I think the only "real hunters" are those who head out with nothing more than a loin cloth over their genitalia and a sharpened stone affixed to a stick with vines or tendons from a previous hunt.

The rest of us are nothing more than "shooters" taking advantage of our superior intellect to harvest a wild animal.

Here's one now!
Old 10-29-2013, 11:32 AM
Typical Buck

I just might shoot game over bait if I really needed freezer meat and wasn't having any success.

But I'd never admit to it in public.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.