Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

"That's not hunting"

Old 10-29-2013, 11:35 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by aharley1
Coworker just informed me that shooting a deer over a food plot isn't hunting, it's shooting. I asked how he hunted. He looks for an acorn tree and waits there for a deer to show, usually early morning or late afternoon, or finds a hill overlooking a stream & some green grass. When the deer comes out for a drink, POW! Hmmmm.... I fail to see the difference.
There is no difference, I do totally agree with you!!!
Old 10-29-2013, 11:42 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by The Green Horn Hunter
There is no difference, I do totally agree with you!!!

With age and experience will come wisdom.
One day you will see the difference between an oak tree and a pile of bait corn. Hopefully.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:47 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Bullcamp82834
With age and experience will come wisdom.
One day you will see the difference between an oak tree and a pile of bait corn. Hopefully.
I sure hope so my self, I am learning slowly, It will take a couple of seasons before I can be as my brother calls a red horn lol instead of a green horn.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:18 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by The Green Horn Hunter
I sure hope so my self, I am learning slowly, It will take a couple of seasons before I can be as my brother calls a red horn lol instead of a green horn.
Good for you.
To plagiarize JFK.... We do this not because it is easy but because it is hard. (that's the idea anyway)

Being successful the easy way doesn't carry the personal satisfaction.
The hunter has no crowd to boo his unethical behavior or cheer his victories. He answers to himself.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its one thing to disagree with a style of hunting......Its another to ignore facts and change reality.

Its all hunting. Whether its being done the right way is what is opinion and debatable
Old 10-29-2013, 12:54 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
Its one thing to disagree with a style of hunting......Its another to ignore facts and change reality.

Its all hunting. Whether its being done the right way is what is opinion and debatable

If the law says it is legal and you have permission to be where you are then it is the right way to hunt.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also agree with those that have mentioned location. I hunt the Midwest. There are millions of acres of corn and beans along with lots of oak trees. I hunt whichever I think is best at the time. I don't alter the deer movement in anyway (outside of occasionally causing them to not be somewhere they normally would)

I use the hand I am dealt to hunt deer.

I go where the deer are.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jrfrmn
If the law says it is legal and you have permission to be where you are then it is the right way to hunt.
That is a matter of opinion.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:59 PM
Fork Horn

just because there is a pile of corn does not mean they will show up.

I living in one of those southern states that bait with a tractor trailer of cut crops, I still put corn,peanuts and mineral sites and keep them year round. I rarely hunt them. I never hunt my mineral sites and I only hunt corn piles with a bow and when I do blood flies and does go in the freezer. Once I get some meat I go to natural movement, crops,acorns and other browze. I use the bait to keep the does down thats it.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been hunting since I turned of age. I must admit that I've never considered sitting over a bait pile hunting, but then again, it's never been legal in my state. Food plots are legal here, but have never done that either. I just turned 61, and with age comes the realization of to each his own.

Truth is, I guess I never really knew the definition of whitetail hunting until I ventured into the realm of still hunting and got turned onto the Adirondacks back in the '70s. Now, I live for the opportunity to hunt for deer there. To me, imho, it's the purest form of deer hunting: searching for them, tracking them, finding them, and hopefully being in the right place at the right time. It's a lot more work than folks realize. I no longer consider a successful season means one resulting in a kill.

I don't look down on those that sit over bait or food plots, it's just not in me to shoot deer that way. To each his own.

Last edited by crokit; 10-29-2013 at 04:35 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.