Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Season Ruiner

Old 11-09-2009, 03:01 PM
Spike

Angry Season Ruiner

Today i was walking to my stand and heard a deer walking through the swamp on my right. When i saw him come into sight i knew instantly he was a shooter. I took my quiver off my bow and knocked an arrow...This was the nicest deer ive ever seen while deer hunting... I beleive he was around an 8pt. with about a 14inch spread. (not the biggest deer ever but incredible to me.) He walks out perfectly broadside at about 20 yards (has no idea im there) I draw and stop him........right over his back about 1'' and he runs off. If this has ever happened to you im sure you relize it makes your watches a little harder to sit. I honestly dont beleive im gunna get another shot at a deer of this quality and am the most discouraged ive ever been.....I definately feel I blew my season BIG time, anyone got any relavent stories or advice that might be somewhat encouraging?
Old 11-09-2009, 03:05 PM
Typical Buck

The lowest of lows can turn into the highest of highs in seconds when it comes to deer hunting. Dont let this make you give up, have it make you more determined!!!
Old 11-09-2009, 03:10 PM
Typical Buck

I'm with ya S4F, I missed the biggest deer of my life just a week and a half ago and couldn't have been more upset about it. I was back in the stand the next afternoon and didn't see a darn thing, and was still happy to be out there. You never know when the next deer is gonna walk by, and that's what's great about hunting. Just this past weekend I rattled in an 8 pt nearly as big, but didn't get a shot and was still happier than a fox in a hen house to have seen such a nice deer. Don't get down, get back out in the woods and good luck! Might wanna check the sights on your bow before you go back out, they might have been bumped and that's why you missed, best to get that figured out before you miss a second time.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:12 PM
Spike

Thats to bad......Time will help the pain.........This time next week it wont hurt so bad. I know how you feel from E X P E R I E N C E ! Hunt long enough it will happen to everyone and will probably happen to you again sometime...........It just part of the gig!
Old 11-09-2009, 03:13 PM
Typical Buck

Learn from it. There will be more opportunities out there. Do you suppose he told all the other deer and they all left the woods? He gets a doe on his mind and he'll all but forget your little encounter. Hell, that dumb ass doesnt know you flung a broadhead over his back. All he knows is you got close to him. He'll screw up again. If not there's plenty others that will before the season is over.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:14 PM
Fork Horn

Gene Hill wrote "sometimes its better not to know" in reference to why you miss that high rise wood****, or that straightaway grouse, or that nice buck. But rather, take it with a grain of salt and get back out there and enjoy every little aspect of the outdoors. I missed a deer today, not a big eight pointer, and yes it was discouraging, but I enjoyed the blue skies, the company I had, and just being blessed to enjoy this great sport. Keep it up, this one be the last miss I am sure, but it won't be the last big one you ever see either! Good Luck.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:57 PM
Spike

Thanks guys that makes me feel a little better, but i got a feeling this ones gunna sting for a while.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:06 PM
Fork Horn

Hey, at least you MISSED him and he ran off. So he most likely wont associate seeing an upright camo-clad biped with a sharp pain.
You might get another crack at him yet.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Snipe4Food
Today i was walking to my stand and heard a deer walking through the swamp on my right. When i saw him come into sight i knew instantly he was a shooter. I took my quiver off my bow and knocked an arrow...This was the nicest deer ive ever seen while deer hunting... I beleive he was around an 8pt. with about a 14inch spread. (not the biggest deer ever but incredible to me.) He walks out perfectly broadside at about 20 yards (has no idea im there) I draw and stop him........right over his back about 1'' and he runs off. If this has ever happened to you im sure you relize it makes your watches a little harder to sit. I honestly dont beleive im gunna get another shot at a deer of this quality and am the most discouraged ive ever been.....I definately feel I blew my season BIG time, anyone got any relavent stories or advice that might be somewhat encouraging?
Snipe cheer up little buckO ...I know you missed the buck but what a story you have to tell ...its one you will never forget ..bitter sweet I suppose but its better then a sharp stick in the eye ...and just think maybe you will get a shot at him NEXT year when hes even larger ...

dd
Old 11-09-2009, 06:26 PM
Spike

Clean miss is always better then a wounding shot .. still a tough pill to swallow. Good luck the rest of the season.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.