Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Another Sad End To A Hunt

Old 10-21-2009, 05:23 PM
Ava
Fork Horn

In Georgia, youths are allowed to hunt if accompanied by an adult. Authorities withheld the cousin’s name because the investigation by county sheriff’s deputies and Georgia Department of Natural Resources rangers is ongoing.

The cousin told deputies he had put Michael up in the deer stand with the rifle, which belonged to another relative, just before dawn. He then walked across a field about 500 yards away to hunt. He was out of sight from the deer stand where Michael was hunting, Royal said.

What sticks out most to me is that the adult <20 yr old> was 500 yards away and couldn't see the boy so he could hunt too. He should have never left him out of his sights! That boy was NOT accompanied by an adult because an adult would have never left him in a tree stand!

I know when I take ds out, I let him hunt and I am moreso there to supervise him. Yeah, I want to hunt too but it's more important for me to keep a watchful eye on him than it is to see a BIG mistake take place that could cost me or him his life. I can always hunt later. Maybe it's me... I dunno. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

This could have been prevented IMPO if the 20 yr old stayed with him.

Last edited by Ava; 10-21-2009 at 05:28 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

my thoughts and prayers go to the family
Old 10-21-2009, 07:01 PM
Typical Buck

How many seasons and how many times do we as hunters need to hear the tragic result of what is clearly lack of hunter education and firearm safety training. As a parent I had drilled into my kids heads at an early age the 10 commandments of hunter and firearm safety! Their LIVES depend on it! This is yet another WAKE UP call to all of us experienced hunters to pass along this respected tradition of hunting including hunter education and firearm safety. I can not stress this enough know the rules and follow them EVERY time. Take action and educate every hunting youth you know. To the family of this fine young man I am deeply sorry for your loss. KSwild
Old 10-23-2009, 03:03 AM
Fork Horn

Very sad and unfortunate. My prayers go out to the family, and to the cousin who I'm sure is feeling quilty. Unfortunately at 12 years old he should not have been left alone, even if he was in a hunting stand. Here in Maine you can not leave anyone under the age of 16 alone, while hunting. Minors are to be accomponied by an adult and you must be together, not within sight from accross the field. And the adult is responsible for any actions the minor takes, so you better be sure the youth is doing what is safe and ethical every moment they are out there with you.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:39 AM
Spike

Very tragic, I hope the family can come to terms with their loss. Tragic, preventable and sad. Prayers to the family.
JC-
Old 10-25-2009, 10:37 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by mickle44
iam thinking that maybe the kid shot a deer and maybe his first deer, and got excited about it like we all have , and maybe was rushing to get down to see it , we have all been there, made one mistake stuff happens
am sorry for the families lost
I made same inference.