Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Another Sad End To A Hunt

Old 10-21-2009, 08:37 AM
Fork Horn

Default Another Sad End To A Hunt

We have to be more careful out there. I was on ESPN.com this morning and took a look at the Outdoor stories. This was one of the big headlines.

http://jacksonville.com/news/georgia..._deer_hunting#

A small section of rope is all it would have taken for this boy to come home alive. I always take the bullet out of my gun when I lower my gun out of my treestand because it only takes one mistake for things to turn out bad. My condolences to the family. Lets be safe out there.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:54 AM
Fork Horn

My condolences and prayers go out to the famly.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

My first response, besides thinking this is a tragedy, is that boy should have been wiser than that or it wouldn't have happened. However, further thoughts... we learn from others in the things we do and how we get our education. I think if he were taught the right way by someone or had the right gun safety education, this may not have happened. I don't know the circumstances of his gun/hunting education, but it's a reminder to all that we should teach by example because people learn from our examples.

Does little to tell a child not to smoke if you do. Same goes for telling someone to wear a safety harness in a tree when you don't.

iSnipe
Old 10-21-2009, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

What a shame, the life of a young man lost to something that could easily have been prevented. Thoughts and prayers go out to his family.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know it's legal in many states, but I don't think 12 year olds should be hunting alone. Accidents can happen even with adults present, but I just can't trust 12 year olds all by themselves with guns. If they can't legally buy a gun, then I don't think they should be carrying one unsupervised.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:37 AM
Ava
Fork Horn

What total devistation this has caused. My thoughts and prayers are with this family.

I have just started hunting with my son. We are total newbies and I would never let him out of my sight because 15 yards is just too far away for me. Just so many things that could go wrong in the mind of a young child with a loaded gun... I want to know what he's thinking. I want to see his breath in the cold air. I want to be right next to him and make sure his safety is on! I want to know that he's unloaded his gun before we even walk out of the woods.

Stories like this make me want to keep him even closer. It's just so sad.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I feel for the family of that boy...but hunting 101...when crossing a fence the gun should be unloaded..this also goes for climbing in and out of your stand
Old 10-21-2009, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is just terrible, sad to hear it.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:50 PM
Typical Buck

i am always within talking distance and sight from my dad occasionally i go alone with my friend on his property for squirrals
Old 10-21-2009, 04:32 PM
Spike

i dont want to sound like a ass but did any one catch the part in the story where the boy heard one shot and a few minutes later he heard another shot . iam thinking that maybe the kid shot a deer and maybe his first deer, and got excited about it like we all have , and maybe was rushing to get down to see it , we have all been there, made one mistake stuff happens
am sorry for the families lost

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.