Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Myths

Old 10-20-2009, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I screwed up and can man up and say it was my fault. Can you???
Yep, I agree. It was your fault...........

Seriously, I believe you're right. Our senses aren't near as sharp as the animals we hunt and we get busted a lot without even knowing it.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

You be right, I'll be rich.

iSnipe
Old 10-21-2009, 12:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a different spin on your paper's topic that may be interesting. Try to research factual researched information from whitetail researchers and then compare that to the anecdotal information that you collect from hunters. The interesting thing would be making conclusions on similarities and differences from your finding. I'm sure there are plenty of seasoned hunters out there that have stories that some researchers would find it difficult to explain. Here's one for you. On a unseasonally warm Oct. afternoon while ML hunting I decided to take a little nap in the warm sunshine. I placed my hunting chair against a tree in a warming sunbeam and proceeded to nap away. When I woke about an hour later, I awoke to a doe standing directly infront of me looking me over from about 3 feet away. I wish I would have had a recording of my snoring for it must of had just the right tone for an excellent deer call. I'm sure that there are some PhD whitetail researchers that would have a hard time explaining that experience. If you reseach some answers, I'd love to know. Please PM me if you find anything out.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by whitetaildreamer
Here's a different spin on your paper's topic that may be interesting. Try to research factual researched information from whitetail researchers and then compare that to the anecdotal information that you collect from hunters. The interesting thing would be making conclusions on similarities and differences from your finding. I'm sure there are plenty of seasoned hunters out there that have stories that some researchers would find it difficult to explain. Here's one for you. On a unseasonally warm Oct. afternoon while ML hunting I decided to take a little nap in the warm sunshine. I placed my hunting chair against a tree in a warming sunbeam and proceeded to nap away. When I woke about an hour later, I awoke to a doe standing directly infront of me looking me over from about 3 feet away. I wish I would have had a recording of my snoring for it must of had just the right tone for an excellent deer call. I'm sure that there are some PhD whitetail researchers that would have a hard time explaining that experience. If you reseach some answers, I'd love to know. Please PM me if you find anything out.
How about just curious?
Old 10-21-2009, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here are my favorite myths.
1. The Moon or Moon phase, weather conditons and temp's has to do with the timmimg of the rut.
2. Mature doe's are harder or just as hard to kill as mature bucks.
3. You can tell the difference between buck and doe droppings by its size and shape.
4. Only bucks contribute genes to their offspring when it comes to antler size etc.
5. That you can change the gentic potential of your buck population by culling inferior bucks when your hunting a free ranging herd.
6. Mineral blocks, supplements, homemade recipe's can cause bucks to grow larger antlers.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

[quote=teedub31;3479126] .....Lack of evidence is not enough to support claims of a mythical 6th sense. quote]

You hit the nail on the head!

If you want to believe that a deer has a 6th sense because you could not understand why you got busted, then that's your belief. We are all entitled to our opnions. Just don't tell me I can't prove they don't and that's the basis of the argument. What I can prove is their senses are far more superior than any hunter's.

When you thought the deer should not realize you were closeby but decided to move the other way and now you are confused? Well, you thought wrong. And that 6th sense was not the deciding factor because it does not exist.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

The sixth sense thing is because they are prey. A lot of sh1t out there wants to eat them. You would be constantly on edge too. They are not magical just good at using what senses they have.

Why won't minerals & supplements create larger antlers? Besides genetics, age, and health, antlers are a product of good nutrition.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

GOOD LORD PEOPLE

if ya came home and there was a DEER in your livin room......would ya notice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?

you are in their livin roommmm mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn..maybe the kitchen( for you guys who hunt a feeder)
Old 10-21-2009, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I pity you.

iSnipe
Old 10-21-2009, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by iSnipe
I pity you.

iSnipe
If you're talking to Jimmy S, no need to pity me or anyone.
I don't want or need your pity. We are all hunters here and at times, may disagree at what others say. No reason to pity anyone who disagrees with you.

iSnipe, I surely hope you have a safe and successful deer season.