Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Myths

Old 10-20-2009, 02:46 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by FlaBoy18
For instance, deer can see color. What other myth's about deer are their?
As university studies have repeatedly proven, deer have limited color vision. They see blue, green, and yellow quite well, and they can also see into the UV spectrum somewhat. Their acuity for color begins to peter out just around the upper end of orange(605 NM), they can't see red at all.

Courtesy of Atsko
Old 10-20-2009, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by teedub31
I still chalk it up to their superior senses. As hunters we think we know how good their sense are but it is a guess at best. All rections are are the result of stimuli. deer just can process those stimuli more accurately then we can.....
I agree totally. I also have never believed any deer has a 6th sense. That is giving the deer way too much credit. They react and respond to changes in their environment and what they have learned over the years, nothing more. Just because a hunter believes a deer could not or should not sense there was something out of the ordinary, believing any deer has a 6th sense should never play into the equation.

That deer decided to move away because he sensed there might be danger or a threat if he continued on. Not because Jupiter was aligned with Mars. Hunters must appreciate that the deer knows everything in his woods. Every tree, every rock, every trail, ect. He travels it every day of his life. He is soon to pick up even the slightest change. Whether he see it, hears it or smells it. There is nothing mystical about the senses of deer. They simply have much greater senses than man's, especially the deer's sense of smell. Plus they are using their senses 100% of the time, every hour, every day, every year.

Why would a deer suddenly move away when a hunter thinks he has all bases covered? Maybe it was the sound of squirrels making a racket that the deer has learned may be sign of danger. Maybe it was the scent of man when a hunter touches branches, leaves and twigs and deposits his nasty, oily human scent on his way to his stand. Maybe it was the scent of other deer that have previuosly left that same area earlier under alarm. That same deer the hunter was totally unaware was even there. Maybe the deer has patterned the hunter who uses the same trail to enter and leave his stand every day. It may be a number of things a hunter may never understand. But it was not because the deer has that 6th sense. It simply does not exist.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by iSnipe
I can't help but want to criticize the grammar mistakes I see in your posts. I won't. I do think it's important though. Many myths I see are the products out there claiming to keep the deer away from people's yards. People are having their plants and shrubs dined on by deer and they fall for products to help eliminate them:

1.) Hanging soap bars from trees
2.) Hanging human hair from bags
3.) Place a decoy of a dog or coyote
4.) Hanging white sheets in trees nearby
5.) Peeing around the shrubs (LOL!)
6.) Pouring commercial coyote urine around

The list goes on. Yes, some of these methods work, but only for a very short time because deer around people's homes are already acclimated to human sounds and smells. If you add something nearby to the plants being eaten, the deer may notice, but quickly get use to it and back to munchin' they go. LOL!

The myth? That these products are effective as a deterrent to keep deer away from people's valuable plants.

Things that work: Erecting tall enough wire fences around more valuable shrubs. Planting only shrubs that aren't as appetizing to the deer. Well placed shots with a suitable weapon. LOL!

Good luck on your paper.

iSnipe
iSnipe,

I see you're a grammatical expert!
Old 10-20-2009, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Jimmy S
I also have never believed any deer has a 6th sense.
Well, good for you. Noted. However, you sit in the very same boat as me when you say that. You can't prove it nor can you substantiate with real world results, your encounters bucks busting you are a direct result of his use of his traditional 5 senses.

Just because a hunter believes a deer could not or should not sense there was something out of the ordinary, believing any deer has a 6th sense should never play into the equation.
There's no playing with that as an equation. That statement makes no sense. ?? It's a possibility when nothing else can't be explained with rational thought. That's a practical, traditional and obvious statement when one thinks everything has to have an answer that needs to be quantified with something that makes sense, when in fact the questions left behind such odd encounters only leaves one to believe animals have senses beyond what most people can conceive... or believe. Humans too.

That deer decided to move away because he sensed there might be danger or a threat if he continued on.
In the majority of the cases, sure, absolutely, but that doesn't come close to answering all the other times when perceived rational answers are not a possibility either. Practical answers to questions why a buck bugs out are not suitable 100% of the time. Practical meaning it has something to do with their 5 traditional sense. I too can think of MANY reasons why a buck may have busted somebody and they may think "there's no way", but those reasons don't always resolve the questions "Why?".

Not because Jupiter was aligned with Mars.
LOL! This has nothing to do with Jupiter, the stars or something else you think people are referring to when they mention a 6th sense. I'm with the many other hunters here and the notable well known buck hunters who believe bucks have more than just 5 senses. If you don't believe it, that's your thinking, that's your belief and that's how you resolve questions why big bucks bust hunters, but that wouldn't work at all explaining some of the oddities in my deer woods.

Hunters must appreciate that the deer knows everything in his woods. Every tree, every rock, every trail, etc. He travels it every day of his life. He is soon to pick up even the slightest change. Whether he see it, hears it or smells it. There is nothing mystical about the senses of deer. They simply have much greater senses than man's, especially the deer's sense of smell. Plus they are using their senses 100% of the time, every hour, every day, every year.
Yes, we know. It's been mentioned at every forum, demo, magazine, video, hunting show and seminar.

However, I don't believe they know every "rock", every tree and travels every trail every day of his life. LOL! He's a buck, not an omniscient being. Gee, now who's giving the buck too much credit? LOL!

it was not because the deer has that 6th sense. It simply does not exist.
Like I said earlier, we reside in the same boat. You can't prove your statement above, but to strengthen the hunter's belief that they do, at least our answers fill a void to questions that come up in these situations.

I believe the answer to be if the 5 senses are ruled out as a viable reason for scaring a buck, although highly improbably in some people's eyes, any left over unanswered questions can possibly be resolved as a result of a 6th sense.

It may be a number of things a hunter may never understand.
Exactly! That's my point!

But when an encounter arises where a buck busts myself or another hunter and we can't seem to figure why, we don't automatically assume it has to be one of the buck's 5 senses! We believe that sometimes where traditional answers do not fit the bill, then the chance they do have a 6th sense...

...is a possibility.

iSnipe
Old 10-20-2009, 12:12 PM
Fork Horn

If I'm in my living room watching TV and decide I need something from the kitchen, I need to go through 2 rooms in my house to get there. So I get up and get to room #1, while an axe murder is hiding in room #2. For some reason as I step into room #1 I forget why I got up (be honest, this has happened to you). Since I forgot why I got up, I just go back and sit down on the couch.

Or maybe the axe murderer is in the kitchen, but while I'm in room #2 I get distracted by something my wife is looking at on the computer and don't actually get to the kitchen until after sunset (because that's when imaginary axe murderers leave kitchens).

I imagine that both of these scenarios would be examples of my 6th sense. Or more likely, I just changed my mind or got distracted by something completely unrelated to the axe murderer.

I don't mean to be insulting at all with this post. I just think sometimes we give the wildlife we hunt too much credit. Isn't it possible that the buck just changed his mind and didn't want to go that way?
Old 10-20-2009, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

dude just cut and paste alot of the stuff from this thread right to your report...

here in texas, i know for a fact, that if you drive up on a deer and you talk spanish to it, it will not run oft!!!!
Old 10-20-2009, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by StraightArrowNY
Isn't it possible that the buck just changed his mind and didn't want to go that way?
Straight. LOL! Interesting scenario.

Anyway, yes, it's possible what you say, but I'm referring to an instance the buck's reactions are showing he's ALARMED in some fashion. If you are attuned to a deer's body posture, it will reveal many things and establishing a deer is alarmed or uneasy about a situation is not that hard to decipher. We're referring to situations where we can just about swear there was no way the buck could have known we were there. And I'm not talking about every single time it happens. LOL! Just those times where everything seemed to have gone right, as far as doing the things a hunter needs to do to be successful.. and the conditions are right, yet still get picked off some how.

Also your example doesn't show something that could be explained by a 6th sense; more so a lucky chain of events that went your way. LOL! A "coincidence" if you will. If you want to further an example, it could be you were doing the Clinton and not "inhaling" and got the munchies and forgot what you were doing because of you doing the Clinton. LOL!

All kidding aside, it's agreed then; the unexplainable is explainable by a buck having a 6th sense. LOL!

iSnipe

Last edited by iSnipe; 10-21-2009 at 09:48 AM.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:38 PM
Fork Horn

[quote=halfbakedi420;3478932]dude just cut and paste alot of the stuff from this thread right to your report...

here in texas, i know for a fact, that if you drive up on a deer and you talk spanish to it, it will not run oft!!!![/quote]

Lol nice one!
Old 10-20-2009, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

The 6th sense you're speaking of is kind of like that gut feeling you get when you know somethings going to happen before it actually does. I get those from time to time and more times than not it just gas.........Sorry, I just had to throw that in.....
Old 10-20-2009, 03:50 PM
Typical Buck

The unexplained busting of a hunter being attributed to a 6th sense and such is akin to intelligent design as a rationale as to how humans became what they are. A BS theory with no evidence to support it. Lack of evidence is not enough to support claims of a mythical 6th sense.

truth be known, hunters screw up all the time and don't know it (or do and don't want to admit it). In 25 years of hunting I can't think of one time where I was busted by a deer that was in my sight that was not directly related to me. I screwed up and can man up and say it was my fault. Can you???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.