Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Effects of Hunting Shows on Kids? >

Effects of Hunting Shows on Kids?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Effects of Hunting Shows on Kids?

Old 10-10-2009, 01:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default Effects of Hunting Shows on Kids?

I work in the hunting department of a big sporting goods store and the other day we were playing a hunting DVD on the two televisions in the department. We like to have something to watch while we work. If I can't be out hunting because I am working I might as well be watching someone else hunt.

After helping a man and a woman at the gun counter with some knives I was straightening the knives in the case when I noticed that the man and woman were watching the hunting DVD. They were watching as the gun went off and a the buck went running out of sight. The woman looks at me and my coworker and asked in a very shocked voice, "Is this alright to show." To which my coworker flatly said "Yes". She then said, "What if children would be walking though and saw this." To which my coworker even more flatly responded, "I have been hunting since I was three." She then walked off in a huff. We both couldn't believe how stupid some people could be.

Since I don't have kids, I just wondered what some of your kids thought about hunting shows? I know when I was a kid I had no problem watching hunting in person and then eventually killing deer when I was old enough. What are your thoughts about this interaction with a non-hunter.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:13 PM
Fork Horn

I think you missed my point iSnipe. We were not calling her stupid for the content of her question. We considered it stupid for someone standing in a hunting section of a sporting goods store to ask something like this. She was surrounded by tree stands, ground blinds, bows, arrows, guns, bullets and everything else people buy for deer hunting and she wants to question our rationale for showing a hunting DVD. Yeah I am sure going to a PETA board would be much more interesting. LOL No one got hostile durring this interaction it was just interesting that someone would say this while they are surrounded by hunting equipment.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

my 3 year old sits in my Realtree Camo Recliner and watches hunting shows with me all the time. he has a bow with suction cup arrows and told me he was taking it to Georgia to hunt with me this year.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:36 PM
Spike

My Daughter told her teacher that I hunt and the teacher told her, "that I was mean to kill those animals." So, my daughter said her " I like eating those animals, how do you think you get your hamburger?" I laughted. I thought it was funny!
Old 10-10-2009, 03:57 PM
Spike

The woman looks at me and my coworker and asked in a very shocked voice, "Is this alright to show." To which my coworker flatly said "Yes". She then said, "What if children would be walking though and saw this." To which my coworker even more flatly responded, "I have been hunting since I was three." She then walked off in a huff.

I bet she voted for Obama too!!
Old 10-10-2009, 06:10 PM
Fork Horn

Given the environment you're working in, I would not hesitate to play the hunting shows. Sears or Best Buy is another matter. I love to hunt and one of the favorite parts of getting my buck last year was my four year old son sitting on his back and lifting up his head by the horns for a picture.

That said, I haven't let my son watch hunting shows yet. I also haven't let him accompany me hunting. He's five now and thinks its great when I bring home deer, but he's shown no interest in going yet and I think I'll know when the time is right to bring him. Basically, I'm not sure he's ready to witness an animal die. And because I exclusively bowhunt, I don't want to take the chance I wound one or spine one in front of him. Before someone jumps all over me, I'm trying to do him a favor and make sure I think he's ready for the seriousness of the end result of hunting so he enjoys hunting and wants to keep going.

I think we sometimes as hunters, if we've done it long enough, forget that those who don't hunt haven't experienced the ups and downs that go along with taking an animal's life while deer hunting. There are a lot of positives to hunting that they wouldn't understand. The only see that bambi is dead and wonder why do we need to kill deer? We know but they don't and so while I don't apologize to anyone for hunting, I will also consider and take into account others' perspectives - as long as they don't interefere with mine or stop me from hunting.

And no, I didn't vote for Obama.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:05 PM
Fork Horn

That's a good one,
I have 5 daughters whom all have been around with me hunting since they were old enough to watch deer(around 4 or so) and we go out in the fields and watch the new fawns play as well as the others.
We watch hunting shows the times we aren't hunting, and each one of them are a excellent shot and ethical hunter,the youngest being 12yrs old.

I explain to them that it is our way(we are Native American Indian) to respect and to control the populations of the deer that our Creator has given us for food,they understand that and except it. At 3 and 4 years old they have watched me skin and butcher deer in our barn.I don't believe that this "de-sensitizes" them as much as it helps them understand we only kill them for food when the seasons permit.

Otherwise, we love to grab a couple of peanut butter and Jelly sandwiches and go to the fields and watch them play,until a big one comes out and they tell me "That's the one we need for the freezer!!"
Old 10-11-2009, 07:15 AM
Fork Horn

I have a 10yo daughter who has been with me a few times, and a 14 yo who has no interest in it at all. They have both watched hunting shows with me. I am a bit concerned about the first time the younger one actually sees a kill, but she does know that's what happens. I was in Bass Pro Shop a few weeks ago and they had hunting shows going as well. I think it's fine, but some people will never be ok with it.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

my 11 year old has been hunting with me since she was 7, and when she told her teacher i take her hunting, the teacher said it was strange. i dont think so. my 6 yeal old cant wait to go, because her sissy gets to go, hopefully she too will eat chips and dip while we gut hogs, and hopefully she too will BEG to reach in and pull the guts out.
i think it depends on how you are raised. havin parents who never hunted, much less own a gun, i am makin it a priority to learn what i missed, so that i can pass hunting down through the family fer generations to come.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:44 AM
Spike

My 4 year old son loves watching hunting videos. He even talks very quietly when a deer comes out on TV. He even does the sound most of the hunters do on TV to get a deer to stop for the shot. He doesn't still hunt with me but he begins his dog hunting adventures this year w/me. He also loves helping me clean and eating it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.