HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Effects of Hunting Shows on Kids?
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2009, 06:10 PM
minnesotadeer
Fork Horn

Given the environment you're working in, I would not hesitate to play the hunting shows. Sears or Best Buy is another matter. I love to hunt and one of the favorite parts of getting my buck last year was my four year old son sitting on his back and lifting up his head by the horns for a picture.

That said, I haven't let my son watch hunting shows yet. I also haven't let him accompany me hunting. He's five now and thinks its great when I bring home deer, but he's shown no interest in going yet and I think I'll know when the time is right to bring him. Basically, I'm not sure he's ready to witness an animal die. And because I exclusively bowhunt, I don't want to take the chance I wound one or spine one in front of him. Before someone jumps all over me, I'm trying to do him a favor and make sure I think he's ready for the seriousness of the end result of hunting so he enjoys hunting and wants to keep going.

I think we sometimes as hunters, if we've done it long enough, forget that those who don't hunt haven't experienced the ups and downs that go along with taking an animal's life while deer hunting. There are a lot of positives to hunting that they wouldn't understand. The only see that bambi is dead and wonder why do we need to kill deer? We know but they don't and so while I don't apologize to anyone for hunting, I will also consider and take into account others' perspectives - as long as they don't interefere with mine or stop me from hunting.

And no, I didn't vote for Obama.