Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

lets clear things up

Old 09-21-2009, 11:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by zrexpilot
20 yd shot no camo no scent control, pile of corn

80 yd shot no camo no scent control no bait no blind

DAMN NICE BUCKS ZR ..AND WITH A BOW NO LESS ..GREAT JOB BUT IS THAT ONE OF THOSE HIGH$$$ COMPOUND BOWS LIKE THEY SELL ON TV ...GEE I WOULD HAVE THOUGHT YOU MIGHT BE SHOOTING AND OLE BEN PEARSON OR A BEAR BOW ...

dd
Old 09-21-2009, 11:52 AM
Fork Horn

zrex or whatever your handle is....you just dont get how much I respect your passion for being good in the woods. Amen bro keep it up. However some things are good medicine. We shot this a month back and this will tell ya about optics. If we only had better glass on the camera........

http://www.midwestwhitetail.com/gall...ore-early.html
Old 09-21-2009, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DoctorDeath
AHHHHH IS THAT ONE OF THOSE HI TECH THOUMB HOLE STOCKS I SEE ON YOUR RIFLE OR SHOTGUN ..DID YOU REALLY NEED A THUMBHOLE STOCK ZR ?

DD

Purely asthetics (sp)

Originally Posted by DoctorDeath
DAMN NICE BUCKS ZR ..AND WITH A BOW NO LESS ..GREAT JOB BUT IS THAT ONE OF THOSE HIGH$$$ COMPOUND BOWS LIKE THEY SELL ON TV ...GEE I WOULD HAVE THOUGHT YOU MIGHT BE SHOOTING AND OLE BEN PEARSON OR A BEAR BOW ...

dd

hahaha. But DD that is a Fred Bear bow that never made it to TV LOL
hey after 15 years of a bear whitetail hunter it was time to upgrade, I mean come on, a 44" bow or a new bear at 32" long with about 75fps faster. I am about function and I definately needed one that functioned better. But hey I am still shooting that bow pictured after 5 years. I am guilty of wanting a new one but I always say fer what. This one still whacks em, still plenty fast and accurate.

high end optics are like a corvette, sure will get you to point B faster and in style, but so will a pinto and rather dependably too.

I can not see the point ( going lalalalalala) about now.
30+ years of tascos, bushnells, red field wide fields (member that one ) and never have I had to say, Man I wish I had a better scope. Hell we dont even need a scope, use the 'ol iron sights, any scope is 10 times better than iron sights, but a high end scope is a 1/10 better than a low end one. For most hunters.
Not talking about the long range guys.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im well aware that I could probably kill deer consistantly w/ a long bow , homemade arrows and surplus camo, but so what? I dont see whats so wrong about buying quality hunting equipment. Any hunter who says they dont like nice guns, bows ,gadjets, and wearing good clothes, is full of bull. Ill agree you dont have to buy the most expensive stuff, but I like the confidence of knowing I have quality gear when Im out there in the cold ,wet ,brush and muck, looking and waiting for game. Most people I know spend tons of $$$ on fancy clothes, useless automotive/motorcycle accessories , cell phones, and eating out everyother day, cause theyre too lazy to cook, now thats a waste of $ to me. A good quality scope, rifle , shotgun ,bow, binos, or even a good range finder will last many years and is $ well spent.

I do agree that scent loc is BS though, and my belief on scent control is that you can really only control the scent you leave behind, on your way to your stand, that is why my outtter layer never gets worn indoors or in the truck.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

nope nothing wrong with it at all. But it seems some are saying its neccessary.
All I said was it is not needed
Old 09-21-2009, 01:07 PM
Spike

I think some people get caught up in the "well it is a $1500 scope it has to be better than a $200 scope." I tend to believe it is the person behind the scope that matters. Same thing with the gadgets. I think that some people start to rely to much on these gadgets an forget to let there natural instinct take over. I agree with the original poster on all of his points because I feel the same way.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sure most stuff we buy for hunting, is not necessary but I would say that having good gear defiantly helps.

Rangefinder- most of my shots are within 15 yds, but i often hunt thick brush, and 40yds can look like 30. Its nice to be sure that if a buck steps into a lane, he's in range or not.

GOOD quality binos- A must have for picking out game in thick brush or at long distances.

Quality scope- I depend on my scope to show me where to put the bullet for a clean kill, all scope makers put out lemons, IME cheap scope makers put out more lemons than quality scope makers. not to mention, good glass is much nicer to look through than blurry, wavy, funhouse mirror glass, you find on cheapos.( a bushnell 3200 is a "quality" scope, a scope that comes in a clamshell is not.

Good clothes and camo- where I hunt it gets cold and wet, I like to spend all day in my stand sometimes, conventional or even military clothing is just not gonna cut it. Hunting clothing is usually made to be warmer, and more weather resistant ,and it usually comes in some sort camo print ,so Id say its nessasary.

GPS-Ive gotten turned around in the woods, miles from my truck, not a good feeling. sure a compass will work in a pinch, but a GPS is worth its weight in gold. Also better than tape or trail tacks for marking stand locations.

Sexy rifles, shotguns and bows- hey women have shoes and handbags, we have those,who needs to justify it?
Old 09-21-2009, 01:27 PM
Typical Buck

i have to agree that in most cases a 200.00 scope is better then a 79.00 scope,but not always. i had a friend buy 2 loopy's both 3x9x40 . he brought them to my range and sighted his guns in at 50yds,then he moved to 100yds and on 9 power he couldn't see a bullet hole in white metal. they didn't have enough power to see it. my cheap simmons and bushnells have enough power on 7 power.

i'd buy a 200.00 nikon over a loopy anyday. they've always been over rated and over priced.

you can kill deer or anything else without using any scent control,but kill the biggest mature buck on your hunting property and do it year after year . then you will need good scent control because your going to have to let lots of bucks walk in most cases just to see mister big.

i killed a 9pt last year that the warden said was 6 1/2 yrs old,he may have been i could care less how old he was. but my point is i had 3 different smaller bucks run doe's that came from 3 different directions within 1 hour before the 9pt showed up.
if i would gotten busted by any of the 3 i may have never seen him.
clothes washed in baking soda,cedar added to them and spraying down with odorlock is what i do,and do it often.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

this post is true but i still get sucked into every little hunting thing if i think it will help me just a bad habit lol
Old 09-21-2009, 02:09 PM
Fork Horn

z rex...... your back peddling........

Some things are worth buying into others not. You picked the wrong topic when you spoke about optics. Said it from the beginning and I will back it till the end. Buy junk optics and expect junk performance.

BTW qualify yourself with all the pics you care to, some of us have seen hundeds if not thousands of trophy animals die and been to one end of the world and the other killin ****. One place I wont skimp is in glass. Got it?

My guess, you got an axe to grind and you have now just barked up the wrong tree doing it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.