Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 I can' t call my bucks in like I' d want to! >

I can' t call my bucks in like I' d want to!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I can' t call my bucks in like I' d want to!

Old 05-17-2003, 11:01 PM

Default I can' t call my bucks in like I' d want to!

When im huntin i can' t call the big bucks in and I want to know what is the matter? Can anybody tell me why I can' t call the bucks in.
Old 05-18-2003, 07:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I can' t call my bucks in like I' d want to!

Most people call too much and spook the deer.Other problems are not paying enough attention to the wind or just calling in unsuitable locations.The bigger bucks are much more wary and much harder to call in than the younger deer.For the record while many of us do regularly call or rattle in deer I don' t know anyone that calls them in as well as they want to.
Old 05-18-2003, 09:40 AM

Your set up is probably the most important thing to consider when calling. The wind being the #1 factor. It also depends on what type of year. During the peak of the rut even a green-horn can call bucks in. The best advice I can give is just don' t give up and you' ll find what works best for you and your particular area.
Old 05-19-2003, 05:53 AM

You have to change your tone of voice, your yelling to load

Seriously, like the others have said you need to pay attention to wind. Also don' t call to much, after you' ve been at your spot for an hour or so, try rattling then wait atleast 20-40 min. Most people over do it and usually just end up spooking the deer. The big bucks are smarter then the little guys and they tend to be more cautious. If your using a grunt then I would do this as lttle as possible, I usually don' t use the grunt until I can see the deer and need to get them in closer. I have used a bleet can and it does work real well in certain situations, but once again a person can over do this also.
Old 05-19-2003, 11:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Calling is not as easy as blowing a tune on your grunt tube. Like other have said it probably relates to your setup, timing, etc. I always try to think like a deer, I only call when and where I expect they will respond and usually when visual contact has been made. I blind call to cover up a noise I made(like broken branch), the odd bleat or when rattling. Wind direction is key, most large buck will circle your position and come in down wind, which makes it very difficult to see or even get a shot off. You must pay attention to the wind and set up in such so you can have a shooting lane and visuals to you back door. Over calling is a curse, limit your calling or rattling in tone or length in a certain call session. Also try and leave 30 min.s between calls, the only exception I use is when rattling where I throw in tending grunts at the half way point between rattling sessions. Vary tone, duration and intensity of the calls with each session. I like to start off soft and then work up the volume and intestity as I go on. The downside to calling is it gives them a exact que to your location, so you must keep this in your mind at all times. I use a scent eliminator and doe in estrus in half moon to help mask my scent, for those deer approaching from the rear. I prefer to setup deep in transition areas, close to their bedrooms (which is usually in deep cover). The main reason is I feel these areas provide the deer with the most security and they respond much better when they feel safe & in control. Basically don' t setup on a field, etc that they deer usually frequent under low light or dark. I like to rattle between the hours of 9-3 during late pre rut and rut. Post rut I rarely make a peep and in early pre rut it is usually in early part and later part of the day. Also if you are not finding success, then move to another location, sometimes a few hundred yards makes the difference, other times in it is much further.

It ain' t fool proof, so you' ll have to learn and adapt, which will come with experience. You need to keep on it and be patient. Once you lock in on where, when and how they like it, you' ll find it a great addition to your technique list. I' ll be the first to admit it don' t work everytime and I don' t rely on it solely, but it has and I just keep plugging along with it. It only has to pay off once to be sold on the technique and to be worth your effort and time!

Good Luck
Old 05-20-2003, 08:05 AM
Fork Horn

I agree with what everyone else said however,do you know if there are in fact big bucks in the area/areas that you hunt?If yes then at least you' re in the ballpark.If not,you' ll never realize your expectations.What about hunting pressure?Lots of other hunters or not another one around for miles.Pressured deer could' nt care less about grunts,rattling,etc.Lots of factors come into play here.Just some things to think about.Regards
Old 05-22-2003, 06:03 PM

it may all depend on how strong your rut is.. like here in southeast ALabama.. our doe/buck ratio is so high that bucks will not respond to rattling and calling as well as if the ratio was more balanced... why would they fight over a doe when they can go 500 yards and find 2 more?? its so outa whack when it comes to calling.. im not saying it wont work im just saying its not as effective here..
Old 05-23-2003, 05:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

An awful lot of good advice, I personally stck with a doe bleat 95% of the time, as others have mentioned if the buck to doe ratio is out of whack, which it is where I hunt, grunts and rattling only work on the most dominant buck in the area, and then it is only when you have a visual on them. Think like a teenage boy, if you are given the choice between a fight and a new girl friend, which would you pick? []