Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Urban Deer Hunting

Old 09-10-2009, 02:49 PM
Fork Horn

Conversely, I've found urban deer "out of the environment nature intended them to be in" to be much more educated and trickier to move in on than those in the wilderness. I've hunted both set-ups and many times the "wild" deer are easier to peg because they haven't had a chance to pattern or get used to people. Regardless, good luck and don't let anyone tell you it's not hunting. I get a kick out of that arguement. If it wasn't, every guy hunting the burbs or a somewhat residential area would score a big buck or at the minimum a deer every time he went out.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:13 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by HuntingKS
Hunt the property. The deer are most likely to run to where they think it's safe - back onto the flood plain and not the neighboring yards.
I agree with HuntingKS. Deer generally run where they feel safety when they are wounded. At least the bucks do. my guess would be if you hit one coming out of the flood plain it would probably turn around and run back to the flood plain, but if you wanted to be safe you could just shoot at them as they were going back instead of coming out and then they would almost surely run into the flood plain.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:28 PM
Fork Horn

I have hunted a spot like u describe but WAY less land. I'm on maybe an acre of woods and house all around not much other woods for them to go. I have taken a few deer and i have noticed they wont runs toward the houses, they will run the woods and if you make a good shot <which u should be able too cuz they have no idea wat hunting is, and u can get them in close> they shouldnt make it to far. Just my two cents but i would definatley not let that oppertunity pass and hunt there.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:15 AM
Fork Horn

Lots of risk there. What ifs...
What if you miss and an arrow goes next door
What if there are kids in the next door yard
What if the neighbors are deer lovers

I think I'd go for a "safer" place.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:34 AM
Typical Buck

goodluck and keep us posted! p.s thats why theres urban tags
Old 09-11-2009, 06:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've hunted several urban areas and these deer almost ALWAYS stay within the woods, even when wounded. I have one spot where I can count 5 houses within sight of my stand. I killed my biggest (149lbs dressed) doe yet from one of these locations. I much prefer my "rural" hunting areas though.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds to me you have made a reasonable effort to gain permission to retrieve the deer. Be extra careful and keep a low profile. Scrape off any deer stickers you have on your vehicle.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

If it wasn't, every guy hunting the burbs or a somewhat residential area would score a big buck or at the minimum a deer every time he went out.
They're easy to hunt the first morning you hunt them. Then they get educated really fast.

In PA, most of these areas are in the special regs zones where it is legal to bait. Nothing like shooting a deer at your backyard feeder.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:07 AM
Spike

in arkansas we are over populated like most places... but for the urban hunts put on by agfc you have to attend a series of classes and such. they want to watch you shoot and there are certin rules you gotta follow like not within 50yds of a residence, tree stand must be 10ft off the ground, does only, bow must be 50lb pull, no crossbows, first kill must be donated, but one plus is there is no bag limit. good luck to ya!
Old 09-16-2009, 01:01 PM
Spike

I hunt in a backyard in Port Barrington over looking a forest preserve with my bow and have never had a problem. I am very close to your area and I know how it is. If a deer is wounded it will want to stay in cover so make a good shot and you have nothing to worry about. Last year was my first year bow hunting and I took a 10pter. Good luck and shoot straight!!! Let us know if you get something.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.