Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Urban Deer Hunting

Old 09-16-2009, 01:47 PM
Fork Horn

I would hunt the property and be as good as hunter as you can be. I have hunted urban settings for almost 5 years now and have only had one deer go past someone's house and through their yard, which was my fault for pushing the deer too soon. Watch out for dogs too, they will bark differently when they know you are there and the deer will notice the difference also. As far as retrieving the animal, try to get as much permission as possible, maybe your buddy can ask for you since they are his neighbors and already know him/her. That has helped me in the past. If you do run into a anti hunter, ask for permission and if they don't give it to them just advise them what could happen. I know where I hunt at it is up to the property owner to dispose of dead animals on their property even if it was hit by a car. If it is not in the right of way then the state has no obligation to come and get it.

As far as urban/suburban areas not being their natural environment, I do believe the deer were probably there before the area was settled by us. For any of you who haven't hunted an urban area and think it is easier, I would beg to differ. Those deer are some of the smartest I have ever come across and would put them up against any "big woods" deer at any time. They know those little woodlots like the back of their hand and know when something is different in the woods. Its like if you walked into your bedroom and the first thing you noticed was your sock drawer was ajar. You know it wasn't like that when you left the room, but it is the first thing you noticed when you went back in. I am not saying that urban hunting is tougher than out in the big woods but it is not as easy as most people think.

Good luck with it.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate it. It seems like more of you are on the side of doing it rather than not. I actually went out there yesterday and did a quick scout again. I don't want to do too much right now of how thick everything is with leaves on it. From what our friend says, they are coming from a neighboring house about 3 lots away that has a lot of woods in the back of it (actually Kirk Heinrichs house, if your a basketball fan). They then run a fence line, cross a dead end street into my friends property where they can either head to the flood plain over a 6 ft fence or head down the 10 ft wall down the the overgrown area that is around 20 yards wide. Basically where they meet my friends house it like a T for them, either one way or the other.

I see the concerns people have. aharley brought up some good ones that I will address: 1) I will only be shooting from at least and elevation of 10 feet out of my blind, plus, I will be shooting towards the 10 ft wall or towards the flood plain. I wil never shoot in the direction of houses. Plus, it looks like these deer follow a certain trail that will be where my shots are going towards. 2) If there are kids next door, my hunting is done. Plain and simple. Plus, I know the neighbors where the deer will be headed are in the 70's and don't have kids so it shouldn't be a problem. Im pretty sure those neighbors travel on the a lot as well. 3) I know that the neighbors next store are deer lovers, but they now love there flowers more and are sick of the deer eating them.

I also have to say that I am a very safe hunter. I always go the extra mile for safety. No animal is worth hurting a human, so rest easy, every precaution will be taken.

I also found out that way the deer most likely will be headed, it is about 100 yards to to the neighbor after his next door neighbor. Im hoping a deer won't travel that far if hit with a quality shot. My longest shot that I will take will be around 12 yards. I hope I don't screw up a 10 to 12 yard shot and have a deer go more than 100 yards. Thats the only worry I have, have any of you urban hunters had a deer go more than 80 yards or so? Im hoping a double lung shot won't go too far.

I love to hunt and would much rather be in the deep woods, but when you live in Chicago, you take your hunting where you can get it. Im not giving up on finding some land in Illinois this year for Shotgun. I have around 20 deer under my belt. Pretty good for a guy that grew up in the populated suburbs of Chicago! The way I think of it, even if it is Urban hunting, its still hunting. Good Luck to all and any suggestions are still appreciated!
Old 09-17-2009, 08:29 AM
Typical Buck

If it was me, I'd hunt it. You've already got the permission from higher authority...and the landowner. If the deer happen to drop on the neighbor's property they have to remove the deer somehow so why not let the hunter who shot it remove the deer?
Go 4 it! good luck!
Old 09-17-2009, 10:54 AM
Spike

better get permission from adjoining land owners if you're within 100 yards of their house, that is the law in Illinois.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

If it's legal and you have permission, why not hunt it? Go for it.