Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

bout shooting a doe

Old 09-07-2009, 03:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

If I didn't shoot does with fawns, I'd almost never shoot one.

Momma gets drilled without hesitation.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

No, I'd let her walk, and I have many times. Just because a fawn is weened it's likely they don't know enough to make it through the winter.
Old 09-07-2009, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Opening day here in Ohio she gets crushed!
Old 09-07-2009, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

By the time the season comes around, the fawns are old enough to survive on their own... otherwise the game departments would not allow does to be shot. There are only a few instances that this is not the case, and that is in extremely over populated areas... where deer are being shot on kill permits during otherwise out of season times.

So I wouldn't skip a beat.. and let one of those doe fawns linger too long and see if it doesn't catch 100 too.
Old 09-07-2009, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

LIke SC said, be the time the season is around, a fawn can survive on it's own. They'll nurse into rifle season if they are still with mom. Take that big nanny out without regret.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:15 PM
Dominant Buck

Think about this another way.....

Just because you DON'T see fawns with mama.....doesn't mean she doesn't have them.

Do what YOU think's right....and have no regrets.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:27 PM
Fork Horn

It is indeed a personal choice and has nothing to do biology. In terms of them being helpless without their mother, I have indeed witnessed other fawns joining other doe groups afterward. Also, you might just be teaching them a lesson being more wary that may save them from gun season. I've also seen many fawns make it through the winter on their own. They eventually find the food.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:39 PM
Typical Buck

I think biologically and ethically there is nothing wrong with it; they are certainly old enough now. Personally I think I'm a little too soft-hearted to shoot a doe with two spotted fawns, haha. If for whatever reason I had only one day to hunt and that was the only shot I had maybe then it would be different, but if i had the whole season ahead of me I would give them a free pass.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:49 PM
Fork Horn

personal choice fo sho! i do know that down here in south texas we saw some fawns born 3wks ago. that will make for some real immature fawns come archery season here. i think the adoption theory is fairly reliable (or atleast from what i have seen) and i also know that when a doe is killed and has real young fawns (about 2 -3 months) the fawns dont typically wander far from the location of their mothers death (based on breeding pressure too). could be a good thing if you have decent buck fawns. either way its all the opinion of the hunter. i dont argue with putting meat in the freezer then holding out for the big boy.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:46 PM
Fork Horn

i have in the past. unless im starving im letting her walk. i dont like hearing the fawn baaaaaaaaaaaaaaing looking for its mother. lol. happened to me like 5yrs ago, i had to chase the damn fawn away. thought i was gonna have to pop it too. i havent shot a doe since. that one incident scared me for life. im not saying ill never shot a doe again but im more of a trophy hunter. my father kills enough deer to feed 5 familys so if i run out i bum off pop.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.