Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

bout shooting a doe

Old 09-07-2009, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I won't let a good opportunity walk away. If I have a tag and get a shot I'm taking it. Last time was 2005.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:11 PM
Kid
Typical Buck

Personally, I don't hesitate!
Old 09-07-2009, 09:15 PM
Spike

Don't know about the adoption theory. I have spotted 2 "orphan" fawns scouting this year. At 1st I thought they were twins followng 1 doe around the field. But they had been in the field when I got there to scout. Each nite after for 4-5 I was there early.
Smallest fawn came out from a heavy bedded area. Hopped around while eating a bit here and there. Then the doe prolly 150 yds away no where near the fawn entrance, which the fawn scooted back into the tall weeds out of sight. A few minutes later he reappeared. Then anoth 10 minutes or so later the 2nd fawn enters the field where the 1st did. No where near the does entry point.
The fawn stayed relatively close to the doe, but if something spooked them, (4 wheeler 1 nite, tractor another) the fawns went to the weeds and the doe to the woods 100yds away. There is a doe/fawn pair in this area but they stay together always. Their bedding down at the corner in between the solo doe and 2 fawns entrance points.
But personally back to main topic. I feel by this time, 15th openner in Mo. Most fawns are losing the spots (My area anyway) and feed same as mama. Meat goes in the freezer. So mama goes down.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

I wont shoot a doe if she has little ones with her. I dont care if the fawns have spots or not. Its just how I am. That fawn until momma pushes it away needs her. Ive seen does push fawns away. I tell ya, its a hard thing to watch. One of the does I saw push her yearling away litterly pawed him until the little button buck realized Im big enough to make it on my own. Ive also witnessed other mature does come in and beat up on other does fawns...them are the ones I like to get out. These are usually does that didnt carry or lost a fawn. We had one real old doe that we called Scar that we chased for a few years because she was just plain out mean. Shed come in and fight with all the other does and fawns. One year she made the right move and ducked my cousins arrow and the arrow just grazed her enough to leave a long cut just about the entire length of her left side. Thats how she got the name. I beleive we rough estimated her age at that time to be around 3 1/2 maybe 4 1/2. 2 years later I took a shot at her. She tried ducking the arrown but wasnt as fast as she used to be and I spined her. We havent had problems like that since....But no I would not shoot a doe if she is nursing or has any little ones with her.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:23 AM
Dominant Buck

The mature doe I shot last year had two doe fawns, both looked well past weaned, yet the older doe still had milk in her udder when I gutted her. I didn't feel bad about it though, she could have just as easily fallen to a Chevy, and her fawns were old enough to make it on their own. Hunting seasons are timed the way they are for good reasons.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:41 AM
Fork Horn

Well said Kevin!!! Not to say that I haven't let one or two Mama's go because that had fawns by there side, but I firmly believe it wouldn't be hunting season if we weren't suppose to be shooting the does, fawns or not!! Me personally it depends on how much meat I have in the freezer.....if none or she's my first shot of the season, she's gettin it! If I've had plenty of oppurtunities and meat already and this situation presents itself I may let her and the fawns do there thang and just enjoy watchin them!!! Personal choice for sure.... to each there own
Old 09-08-2009, 07:27 AM
Dominant Buck

You have to look at several things.....

1. How many deer do you have?
2. The "avg" whitetail here will eat over a ton of food/yr. Can your lands sustain that?
3. A doe killed in Oct. will not: a. Breed b. continue to eat

Fire away.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep I would have shot her and will if I get the chance this weekend. Any fawns that can't make it on their own now will not make it thru this coming winter anyway. Every hunter has the right to decide this for themselves so do what you want and don't worry about what others will do.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:12 AM
Typical Buck

Darn right I'd shoot that doe. Wait around long enough and the fawns may come back close enough to take one of them out too. Heartless you think? I say not. They eat just as good or better than any others and it's one less deer in my vastly over-populated area. My rights to hunt the farms I do are based on my word to the farmer to take out as many deer as I can (excluding small bucks as he agrees to let them mature). His farm, his call. I'll shoot does and/or fawns every chance I get.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

well the doe was big but looked like it did just now have those fawns. I did not shoot her anad im glad i did not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.