Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Droppin em on the spot

Old 08-17-2009, 06:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

If the deer is close enough and is not moving, I will shoot about half way down the neck. No tracking. If it is a little further out I will nail the heart/lungs.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Brain, neck, backbone they're going nowhere.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

What is the reason for a DRT shot? Is it to stop the animal from going over a property line, terrain, etc? Or is it instant gratification, poor woodsmen skills or lazy? Sorry thinking out loud again...inside voice..inside voice!!

CNS shots are your best bet (this is spinal & head). However these shots offer the smaller target zone, so if one is attempting them they must be proficent with their firearm in all facets (includes: knowing the yardage, target/crosshair placement, rest, etc). The high shoulder shot is a CNS shot, yes it busts both shoulders but if you place it correctly it will also gets the spinal cord. The target is orange sized on a mature deer sized animal. This shot offers the most margin of error.

Personally I like the 1/4 away shot, be it bow or gun. This leaves the vitals unobstructed and exits through the opposite shoulder/leg. Not to mention it gives you an excellent visual target by aiming for the opposite leg. Bloodtrails are excellent hear IME as the you usually obtain a pass thru with a rifle, though the game rarily goes far with such a hit & both lungs deflated. I can say the same about a broadside behind the shoulder as well though. I have needed the high shoulder shot due to terrain and it does work when you do your part, though if I don't have a reason for limiting the scamper I'll chose to pull it back and down 100 out of 100 times.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Break both shoulders and there they will be.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:35 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with the quartering shot, even toward a little is good for me. I like to gets vitals and at least one shoulder in the shot. I always shoot the pumpstation no matter the distance.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:29 AM
Fork Horn

Behind the shoulder for me, through the shoulder or neck ruins perfectly good meat.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by skeeter 7MM
What is the reason for a DRT shot?
Ever tried to track a deer in a Southern swamp???
Old 08-18-2009, 11:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Through to to opposite shoulder........................nuff said.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
Ever tried to track a deer in a Southern swamp???
I live in Sask, canada and to answer your question no I have not hunt a swamp in the south. However I have hunted in a lot of swampy & rough terrain. I know full well what it takes to get animals (larger then deer often) out of these god forsaken places and reason for wanting to limit the scamper in such an area. I followed up the above question with a couple more thoughts, just wondering where the poster or others for that matter lay in terms of needing such a shot. Seems to me the media and such glorifies such a shot, which I don't agree with. JMO but if i need it and the situation to the shot are favorable I will take it. However if not I'l deflate the lungs everytime and if possible hit a wheel on the way out!
Old 08-19-2009, 05:05 AM
Dominant Buck

High shoulder shot or at the base of the neck. Fairly big target and a sure stopper if you are close enough to make a 100% shot. My last elk was at 50 yards in with a bunch of cows which were covering his body and I had to make a neck shot. They knew I was there and were about to bolt so I took the shot and he dropped dead on the spot. Nothing wrong with a broadside boiler room shot either especially at a distance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.