Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

INFECTED by deer blood?

Old 05-12-2003, 03:24 PM

Default INFECTED by deer blood?

Hey fellow board members,

Is it possible for a person to become infected by deer blood should it enter through a open wound?

Example:

If one was field dressing a deer and sliced thier self in the process as they were cutting the deer esophogus. And clearly they need stiches, can one catch infections from this related to CWD or otherwise.

Any input?

Happy hunting
Old 05-12-2003, 03:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: INFECTED by deer blood?

Not thought to be likely, but I' m not sure if the professionals could give a 100% answer on this. Sort of like someone sitting in a room full of mosquitos and a HIV positive person. I wouldn' t want to be there.
Old 05-12-2003, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is no one that can tell you yes for sure it will, but if you read much about CWD they will all tell you that you should were gloves now. I have started to bring along disposable gloves (Kmart-Wallmart) that I buy for around $3 and they go up to your upper arm. They are nice to keep all of the blood away from you, but I still don' t like holding onto a knife through a plastic glove.
Old 05-13-2003, 10:16 AM
Spike

The answer quite simply is YES. I have had friends and coworkers exposed to lyme disease, rabies and other blood borne illnesses. You should wear gloves while dressing the animals (this includes fish) you kill.
Old 05-14-2003, 06:55 PM

I would think there is always that possibility.I know of no diffient cases but you never know.
I worry more about wild hogs than I do the deer.always be on the safe side and ware gloves.[X(][X(][X(]