Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

No Blood No Deer?

Old 12-11-2006, 08:49 AM

Default No Blood No Deer?

Took the Wife Hunting Saturday. about 5pm a nice Doe stepped out of the woods. She took a shot. The Deer Reared up on her hind legs and bolted off through the woods. I have never since I have been hunting seen a Deer that got hit in the front qtr rear up like that. They always seem to Buckle forward some if they run.
But we get out the stand. No Blood anywhere. Only thing I could think of is she missed. There was no blood. in a 40 yard radius I made where she was shot. She was using a gun she never shot before, a Rem .243( Early Christmas present). So I blame myself for not making her shoot it before going hunting with it. But She was very upset she missed. But I told her it happens to the best of us. There will be a next time.
She spent an hr Sun shooting the gun and got pretty good with it.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: No Blood No Deer

This type of post does no one any good.

It was irresponsible and ignorant. And if that isn't bad enough, you post it here for the world to see and read. Everything you post in a public forum in some way represents all of us as a group of hunters.

I for one, do not approve of your methods and would prefer not to read about them in the future.

Just so you know, it doesn't happen to the best of us. A true hunter and woodsman would not have acted this way.
Sorry,
KP

P.S. What were you trying to accomplish with this thread?
Old 12-11-2006, 09:20 AM

ORIGINAL: Killer_Primate

It was irresponsible and ignorant. And if that isn't bad enough, you post it here for the world to see and read. Everything you post in a public forum in some way represents all of us as a group of hunters.

I for one, do not approve of your methods and would prefer not to read about them in the future.

Just so you know, it doesn't happen to the best of us. A true hunter and woodsman would not have acted this way.
Sorry,
KP

If my post does no good what good does bashing someone for sharing a story. Its life. If you have never missed a Deer I will dare call you a liar.
I missed my very first deer. 100 yards with a .30-.30 I have not missed one since. I learned a valuable lesson and so now she has too. Know your gun. Shoot your gun often. Thats the purpose of the post. If your so high and mighty you should been able to pick that up.
And Methods? I didn't discuss any methods. Again to re-iterate the reasoning to the post.
If you take some one hunting, Wife, Kids, Friend that has not had much experince with shooting then make the practice first. Dont assume anyone can pick up any gun and fire it without knowing the feel and the way the gun handles.
So the moral of the story again. Know your Gun!
Old 12-11-2006, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, I remember reading your post on the 30/30, and decided not to comment. This time I thought it was time.

I have never in my life missed a deer with a gun. If I had as a boy, my father probably would have flipped out. I was taught how to shoot, and was expected to shoot responsibly. It is something that I take seriously. You obviously were not taught how to shoot, and now decide to post you unethical hunts on this site. You posted your crap, so I responded. Don't want a response, don't post. What were you expecting "great job, better luck next time"?
You can't shoot. You say you like shooting your 30/30 at the range, but it is obvious to me that you are completely unaware of what that bullet is doing after it leaves the barrel with your previous posts. And now you're placing your poor habits/unethical hunting practices on your wife.
And you act surprised at my response? And you say that "Know your gun" is the intention of the post?! Where does your post imply that? You don't know your gun, or how it shoots. "The feel" Come on? You need to go back to the basics here and reevaluate.

Post your address, I'll send you some condoms. That way maybe I can at least save the next generation...
Old 12-11-2006, 09:38 AM
Spike

Woe Woe Woe guys!!! Don't jump on someone unless you were there and seen it happen! If you don't know the facts then....

As for the shot she may have hit the deer, I never thought I would say this but I saw on a hunting show this past weekend that a famous hunter shot at a nice buck using a rifle. The buck feel down and they were congratulating each other on the deer when it got up and ran away!!! They looked and looked no blood or hair. they took the video back to the editing studio to see where he hit the deer. They slowed it down showing a frame by frame shot, you could see the bullet in the air, HIT the buck around the shoulder and the bullet litterally bounced off the deer and landed in the ground!!!!

My point is we don't know what happend so don't jump the guy, Yes you should have shot the gun before going hunting,

As for this forum it is public, a place to LEARN, GROW, AND SHARE with hunters as hunters.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:03 AM

I for the life of me have never seen anyone react like you did about a post.
Does the part of never shot before and her spending time afterwards shooting the gun and getting better not show that.
Come on man. the 30-30 I believe I said the first deer I shot at. I was 13. Wow. The wife missing. Was her first time ever having a chance to shoot a deer,3rd time in a stand. She was nervous as all get out. I made her wait about 10 mins trying to calm her down.
What is unethical or wrong. What post about a 30-30 did I make Quote"You can't shoot. You say you like shooting your 30/30 at the range, but it is obvious to me that you are completely unaware of what that bullet is doing after it leaves the barrel with your previous posts.Endquote". I think your confusing me with some one else. I dont recall saying I like to shot my 30-30 at that range. Another post I made I said I liked plinking/target practicing with it. But said nothgin about that range. I think you need to chill and quit making **** up.
I see other post where people said they missed a dear. So did you go off on them too. I didnt see any. So before you jump to conclusions and falsly accuse someone get your facts.
I was sharing a learning experince. May not have worded it right.
As far as the condom thing goes I think you should have taken your own advice. I have 3 lovely kids. Whom I will teach to hunt when they are old enough.
If you would have read. I have not missed a Deer since the first one. So don't tell me I dont know how to shot. I hung the 30-30 up when I was 16 when my dad got me my Rem. 270 Which is the gun I still hit and kill every deer I shot since then. So go play with yourfantasies else where.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:15 AM

I believe this is the post your refering to. the .30-.30 I missed with belonged to my brother which was a Winchester.

I love my Marlin 30-30. I have yet to take a deer with it and my wife missed a chance last hunting season with it. She breathed on the scope while trying to spot the Deer. It fogged up on her, so I had to take the shot with my Rem. M700 .270
I hunt mainly with the .270 it was my first rifle. My dad a couple years later gave me the 30-30. Said would be a good woods gun for me.
But I mainly hunt fields and power lines where the shots will range from 100-175yards.
Main reason I dont hunt with the 30-30 is confidence. I lack it with it cause I have yet to kill a deer. Shot at one at 125 yards. and watch the bullet hit the dirt in front of the deer. I had it sighted in at 75yards. Bullet dropped to much for me. If I would have had it set to 100 I might would have got the deer. But cause of the miss. I hung it up. But love to take it and shot targets with it.
Last year since the wife wanted to hunt I moved in closer. Put my Stand within 75 yards of the corn pile. We saw the one deer. While she was with me. I usually went to another stand and took down a few. I just dont like being so close to the deer could be why I havent bought a bow yet.
But as far as the 30-30 being a hunting round. Close range anytime. Will use it next year. Found a nice spot in the woods with a 50 yard max shot. Will try to closer up hunting then.

Still confused.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Just curious... was she using open sights? Or did her.243 have a scope on it?
Old 12-11-2006, 10:30 AM
Fork Horn

Killer,
Your way out of line. Why must you be so negative and ignorant in your own views of this hunters experience? There may have been other issues leading to his wifes miss. She could have flinched, hit a limb or numerous other circumstances. She may have made a perfect shot and was unable to recover the deer. This stuff does occur. The gun could be dead onfor all we know. Just this past weekend I saw footage of a 50 cal BP bullet bouncing right off the shoulder of a deer. It knocked the deer down just like a thru and thru. But the buck got up on his feet 20 seconds later and ran thru the woods with his tail between his legs. The PROFESSIONALhunter belived he made a great shot and could not belive that he was unable to locate this deer. He had to go back to the studio to verify what excatually happened in this case. No one is perfect and I can't believe that youra perfect hunter. For a father to be pissed a his son or daughter for missing a deer is a poor example of a father figure. Negative reinforcement does no goodfor teaching a young hunterabout the sport we love. Postivie reinforcement is the only way to teach someone to learn.

Merlin,
Best of luck to you and your wife. Hopefully, you performed a grid search in the direction in which the deer ran. You do need to look as long a possible, and come back if needed. You want to be 100% sure that it was a clean miss. This past weekend I shot a buck in a wide open fieldwith a 7mm mag and I had no sign of blood or hair anywhere. I eventually found the buck after performing a grid search within the woods in the direction he ran. I still found no blood, until the spot where he layed down. Hopefully, she get to harvest a deer with her new gun.

ORIGINAL: Killer_Primate

Sorry,
KP

Old 12-11-2006, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Merlin11274

I love my Marlin 30-30. I have yet to take a deer with it and my wife missed a chance last hunting season with it. Shot breathed on the scope while trying to spot the Deer. It fogged up on her, so I had to take the shot with my Rem. M700 .270
I hunt mainly with the .270 it was my first rifle. My dad a couple years later gave me the 30-30. Said would be a good woods gun for me.
But I mainly hunt fields and power lines where the shots will range from 100-175yards.
Main reason I dont hunt with the 30-30 is confidence. I lack it with it cause I have yet to kill a deer. Shot at one at 125 yards. and watch the bullet hit the dirt in front of the deer. I had it sighted in at 75yards. Bullet dropped to much for me. If I would have had it set to 100 I might would have got the deer. But cause of the miss. I hung it up. But love to take it and shot targets with it.
Last year since the wife wanted to hunt I moved in closer. Put my Stand within 75 yards of the corn pile. We saw the one deer. While she was with me. I usually went to another stand and took down a few. I just dont like being so close to the deer could be why I havent bought a bow yet.
But as far as the 30-30 being a hunting round. Close range anytime. Will use it next year. Found a nice spot in the woods with a 50 yard max shot. Will try to closer up hunting then.
Unquote:

Merlin,
Were those not your words above? Talk about interesting, I'm glad you called me out! Kind of confusing to say the least...

You aimed the 30/30 ata deera 125 yards away and hit the dirt in front of it. That is your quote, which tells me, you didn't have a clue how to sight thatgun in, which really isn't a problem, but, youwrote this on 12/5/2006, and didn’t say anything about correcting the problem to date, other than "shooting the gun and getting better"! Which sounds really admirable here, until you read your other post where you simply hung this gun up, since it is only a close range shooter!? Just so you know, that gun is perfectly capable of taking a deer at 125 yards and beyond. You just need to know how to shoot it, or I guessI should say adjust it. So really, you've done nothing. Except maybe go the range and hear a loud bang.
Your wife is now doing what you were doing at age what? While under who's supervision? You comment about me being overly upset. I am. Anti hunters comb through forums just like these and they quote us. That is why I said you represent us. I stand behind my comments to you, because it upsets me to be placed next to you. You haven't taken the time to know how to shoot. You hand off these poor skills as acceptable to your wife and I'm assuming your children one day. You post threads about a deer that maybe you missed or maybe you hit? Hmmmm??? What should I do??? Guess what, the computer won't help you find your deer. Either go learn how to shoot, or don't shoot at them anymore. And if you decide to go shoot at them the way you are now, that's fine too, just don't post it here, in a public place. Further, if you decide to keep doing things the way you've been doing them, and keep posting them, that is your right. But hunters like me don't and won't like it, and we'll speak up about it. And we'll bash your thread so that hopefully you won't post ones like it anymore.
Here is what you should do;
1. Go buy a book called "Shoot better II". It will teach you how to shoot and provide you with all kinds of data onmost of the different calibers and projectiles.
2.Go buy a hunting book. Maybe one that the NRA put out, or any other that has a section on ethics.
3.Apply what you've read/hopefully learned, and teach your wife, children and any others that you may have some influence on todo what is right. And in case you're wondering -anew hunter (your wife) under your guidance, shooting a gun that she's never shot, at a deer, while being supervised by someonewho can't seem to grasp the basics, is not RIGHT.

tourangeaud,

Please, my father did in fact reward my efforts as a young boy. But he was able to think, logically. He spent time with me and my brother, teaching us all that he could. He knew our capabilities and expected us to use what we'd been given. Not only were we taught the technical data associated with shooting, but ethical shots and shot placement. We passed on a lot of animals, so my answer to you is, I'm not out of line, you are accepting substandard hunting practices. My father would never scold me for not taking a shot, but to miss the target, is a failure.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the guy holding the gun the one who is responsible, no matter what happens to the bullet once it is fired? And if it didn't hit the target, where did it go? Ultimately resulting in - you shot something that you didn't intend to shoot, which I don't find acceptable.

Sorry,

I'm done with this thread.

Quick Reply: No Blood No Deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.