Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

East Texas Hunting in General

Old 08-10-2009, 01:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default East Texas Hunting in General

Ive hunted all over Texas except North East Texas. I have a 300 acre farm around the Gregg/ Rusk County line and this year i decided to save some money and challenge myself to bag some animals there. I have been in and out for the past 6 months deciding if i wanted to do this and am about to get serious this next wk. Is there alot of trespassing typically in East texas? ive run into other people's setups on my property almost every time ive been there (5 times) in the past year. What are some good early season plots? im thinkin oats and chickory as soon as the temp starts to max out at about 95. if it ever happens. and i was just wondering if anyone has ever had good luck around the Gregg/ Rusk County Areas? I am currently 6 hours away from there but will be moving within 2 hours of my farm in Dec, so trespassers beware! Thanks for any advice or stories of hunting/ trespassing the area!

Last edited by 09_bobcat; 08-10-2009 at 01:41 PM. Reason: put in different forum
Old 08-10-2009, 04:27 PM
Spike

Good Grief;

Get your guns out and keep em loaded.East Tx and the words road hunter,poacher and spotlighter go 2 gether like no other in that area.Really bad.I have hunted all over the entire state of texas ( east tx being the worse)..Shoot me a pm- I will give you the heads up on east tx.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive hunted several Xs on a 6K acre ranch in east Texas( Talco ) I love it there ,but theres not alot of big bucks, but I mostly go there to hunt hogs, which theres alot of. It floods there alot and it makes finding game tough somtimes. Oh and it gets freakin cold there in the winter, and thats coming from a NYer! The guy who runs the ranch told me they dont have any problems w/ tresspassers, wish I could say the same of southern NY , its the tresspassing and poacher capital of the counrty here.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:38 PM
Fork Horn

thanks, just makin sure i wasnt the only one thinkin that about the area. and i do plan to collect some pissed off protein pork tenderloin via matthews switchback this year!