Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
I Believe In A Comfortable Stand >

I Believe In A Comfortable Stand

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I Believe In A Comfortable Stand

Old 08-10-2009, 01:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default I Believe In A Comfortable Stand

Here's my home made A-Frame ladder stand. About $60 worth of treated 2x4s, galvanized nuts & bolts, and some EMT tubing. The seat and floor units are angle iron from an old bed frame. The front ladder and back frame are each one piece (nailed and glued). The arm rest, seat unit, floor unit, and cross braces are attached with twenty 1/4" nuts and bolts. I can assemble it and stand it up on-site by myself, but it's a lot easier with two guys. Of course, it's only suitable if you have your own property or a lease.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:20 PM
Fork Horn

so u built that for $60? nice work
Old 08-10-2009, 01:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

very nice! I always wanted to build something like what's in the movie "ghost and the darkness", one day I'll have to...

Always surprises me what guys find "comfortable"?

Maybe it's because I'm in a stand all day more times, and bowhunting whitetails.

I want a ladderstand, with a large platform that extends under the seating, something like 18"x30" give/take. A flip up seat, arm rests, shooting rail.

But i figure most guys hunting out of stands, hunt in the am for a couple hours, then the evening and don't require what I do...

I come across alot of stands that are "close calls" and I think, that's almost perfect, but totally won't work...for instance no flip up seat, I wanna stand close to the tree...partially for camo...not 2-3feet away from the tree. stuff like that...
Old 08-10-2009, 01:27 PM
Fork Horn

i have a nice executive chair in my box stand.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:48 PM
Typical Buck

Nice work at a great price!!! one word of caution, make the chair too comfy and you fall asleep, we have nice comfy exec chairs in elevated box blinds, sometimes find myself dozing off
Old 08-10-2009, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice lookin stand. how much does it weigh?
Old 08-10-2009, 02:53 PM
Fork Horn

did you anchor that thing? it's a nice stand it would be a real shame if that thing got all busted from a winter storm blowing it over.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

how much does it weigh
A lot! The front ladder unit weighs a tad under 100 lbs. The back ladder unit is about 60 lbs. But it's easy to assemble on the ground and one person can stand it up. You assemble it with the front ladder flat on the ground. Then begin lifting the top end and begin "walking down the steps" with your hands. Once you get it to a point where your hands are on the second or third step from the top and your arms are fully extended it starts to counterbalance itself as it pivots on the back legs. At that point you're doing nothing more than controlling it as the rear legs lower to the ground. The one in the picture is 16' tall. I've built a 12' one also and the 12' one is very easy for one person to transport (with a couple of trips) and set up.

did you anchor that thing? it's a nice stand it would be a real shame if that thing got all busted from a winter storm blowing it over.
No, it's not anchored. But it's solid as a rock and doesn't offer much wind resistance. The area where I have it received 60+ mph winds from the fringes of Hurricane Gustav and it stayed in place (but I lucked out with a near miss on it from a falling pine tree).
Old 08-10-2009, 04:37 PM
Spike

Very nice and also very well braced. Should be an asset for many years....
Old 08-11-2009, 03:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Great looking stand. Put up 4 walls and a roof and youll be all set! Of course down there you dont get near as cold as us up here. I may just have to take your design and see what I can do with it. Great work!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.