Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scent Wafers

Old 08-06-2009, 05:36 AM
Spike

Default Scent Wafers

Was thinking of using the scent wafers this year to help with cover up. Lots of standing pines in my area so I am planning on going with pine scent. Anyone have any luck with them. Would like to hear if so.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess I can't give a particular event that says "they work" but I keep a earth wafer in my bin with all my hunting clothes. They definetly give off smell. lol Have been doing that for quite a few years and have been succesful so I don't think it will hurt one bit. Good Luck!
Old 08-06-2009, 05:59 AM
Typical Buck

I also use earth scent wafers in my clothes bin as well as small broken up pine branches. I have had deer all around me in Ohio and haven't been blown at yet b/c of scent. I go scent free as far as detergents, deodorant and toothpaste to try eliminating human or perfume odors. The wafers have a strong smell so I just leave them in the bin when I put my clothes on (in the woods).
Old 08-06-2009, 06:03 AM
Typical Buck

as others have said, i too put the wafers in the bin with my clothes and i usually wear one on my hat when i hunt. Helps cover up the smell. I have done well with that, its not going to solve all your scent issues but it sure will help.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:51 PM
Fork Horn

I use the fresh earth and i truley believe in them im sure the pine would work just as well
Old 08-07-2009, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I never use scent wafers. If I want my gear to smell like pine or earth, I simply put natural things in my hunting container.

I think it's another marketing ploy. I also use no attractant or cover scent. I just always hunt the wind. I truly believe if you are upwind of any deer, they will smell you no matter how much effort you take to be scent free. Conversly, if you are downwide of deer, they will have a very difficult time picking up your human scent.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

true if you are upwind of a deer they will smell you. but when im bowhunting sometimes all i need is and extra 3 seconds.

i use the earth wafers for years i do believe they HELP. do they completely cover NO. but they could give you that extra step your waiting for him to take.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

If it works for you, that's great. What I said in my initial comment is my personal feelings I have found in many years of hunting.

I have hunting buddys/sons that use every cover, attractant scent and wafers on the market and they do well. If it works for them, I encourage them not to change anything. Plus, we hunt northern New England with very low deer numbers, so we don't have the luxury to see/shoot deer every time in the woods.

Me personally, I am also successful with my hunting style. But just because I have no use for commercial products, it doesn't give the right to try to change what they do.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:51 AM
Spike

Dont use them. I have been using BioExtreme for about three years now and have never been busted... YOu can use it in the shower, the washing machine, and in the field all from one bottle...

Wild animals can discriminate odors. they will smell the fox urine or pine scent you put out and will also smell you... And they know your odor as DANGER!!! Best to just be odor free..
Old 08-07-2009, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by slickheadshooter
Dont use them. I have been using BioExtreme for about three years now and have never been busted... YOu can use it in the shower, the washing machine, and in the field all from one bottle...

Wild animals can discriminate odors. they will smell the fox urine or pine scent you put out and will also smell you... And they know your odor as DANGER!!! Best to just be odor free..
Great point - Best to be odor free. When I go into the woods, I don't want to smell like anything. Plus I also make it a point to not leave my nasty, human scent on leaves, branches and twigs when I enter the deer wodds. I pair of light gloves goes a long way. I also wear light gloves when I put on my hunting clothers, including my boots. I sometimes see other hunters go through a serious, scent free regimant only to defeat their purpose by leaving human scent on themselves or the places they have walked.

Any deer will realize you have been in their woods if any human scent is left behind. They will also get educated real quick as to your travel routes. As peviously stated, deer will tolerate a lot of odors in the woods, some may present a threat, some not. But the human scent will always trigger a negative response and be treated as a direct threat.
You can sometimes fool their eyes, sometimes their ears, but you can never fool their nose. Man cannot comprehend how good the deer's sense of smell really is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.