Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scent Wafers

Old 08-07-2009, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Never put the wafers in with my clothes, but always keep them with leaves, sticks and pine cones, etc. Seems to give them a more natural smell to my nose...which I understand is far inferior to a deer's. I have killed 6 in the past two years since starting this while rifle hunting...only one shot was beyond 40 yards. I believe that the best thing you can do to cover your scent is climb really high. I also plan on using some Deer Dander by Team Fitzgerald this year...here it is pretty effective.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Waste of time....how is it people think putting a little dirt scent can cover their scent. Just because a scent is "strong" doesnt mean it will cover a weaker scent.

Put your nose on the ground where a deer or you have walked....what do you smell? Dirt or grass. A deer will still smell the scent of the deer or you with no problem. Deer do not have a nose like a human and thats what needs to be understood. Putting a little extra something on you does nothing to help....
Old 08-07-2009, 12:12 PM
Typical Buck

Yes, they work, but be careful with them. Years ago I hung two acron wafers from the foot stand of my climber. I was bow hunting an acorn grove, naturally ! Nice buck came from behind me, walked right under my tree, nose flaring, and followed it's nose right up the tree and stared me down. A week later, another buck did the same thing. Maybe they were smelling me, but I doubt it. I've had dozens of deer before, and since, that just walk on by me, never knowing I'm 20 feet above their head. I left one wafer in the tool box of my pick up, and it smelled like acorns for two years. They're strong. Really strong. Especially when new. I don't keep them on my person in the woods, I use the acorn spray on my cloths.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use the earth wafers.I've tried a couple of the attractant wafers with no luck.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

The main thing (as i said before) remember nothing you do will completely remove or cover up your scent guys. products that say they will are lying. i only use these products to HELP gain a slight advantage over an extremely adaptive animal with an incredible sense of smell. i do know how good their sense of smell is. so good they can tell which direction the scent was traveling up to 3 days after you walked though. freaky huh?
Old 08-09-2009, 03:09 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Jimmy S
I never use scent wafers. If I want my gear to smell like pine or earth, I simply put natural things in my hunting container.

I think it's another marketing ploy. I also use no attractant or cover scent. I just always hunt the wind. I truly believe if you are upwind of any deer, they will smell you no matter how much effort you take to be scent free. Conversly, if you are downwide of deer, they will have a very difficult time picking up your human scent.
Nothing found in nature lasts as long as those scent wafers nor is as easy to use as them. As far as being upwind... being as scent free as possible (removing human odor) will still result in some degree of human scent. The wafers have never alarmed a deer in my experience and having used them as I described I have gotten alot closer to deer than I ever did before when all we had was pine needles, dirt and baking soda. As far as being downwind... I have often times got into the stand while the wind was blowing one direction and then an hour later it swirled around or completely changed direction. The wafers are better than nothing when trying to mask your odor at times like that.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:08 PM
Spike

I have a 6" length of unwaxed dental floss tied to my front swivel. It is "fuzzed" up and catched a breeze nicely. It is a constant indicator of what is happening where I am. That may be completely different 50 yards away.

The wind in your nose is the only real scent control that we have. Do I/have I ever used stuff....sure. Did it work....I watched a young 6 pointer follow his nose to a Pee-Willie filled with Tinks 69. Do I believe that any cover scent will mask human odor....No.