Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Colone

Old 08-02-2009, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Post Colone

I know someone who buys the stoutest colone(or however you spell that)he can find and when he goes hunting he sprayes himself and kills nice bucks consistently he says they are curious to it and come in to see what makes the smell.....have you guys ever tried this or heard of it....do you try this?and does it work if you try it?
Old 08-02-2009, 07:40 PM
Fork Horn

I havent personally, but I know the guy who hunted the land before us, would sometimes burn like a cinamon candle because he said they liked the smell of it.. and he did kill deer with it.. but i would stick with scent free.. best not to let them know there is anything different at all in my opinion..
Old 08-03-2009, 04:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Hunting Kuk
I know someone who buys the stoutest colone(or however you spell that)he can find and when he goes hunting he sprayes himself and kills nice bucks consistently he says they are curious to it and come in to see what makes the smell.....have you guys ever tried this or heard of it....do you try this?and does it work if you try it?
I don't know how things are out there in the hills of Arkansas, but it might get you a date.

Never heard of it being done, but would think your buddy was more " right place at right time ", rather than the deer being attracted by the cologne.

Last edited by crokit; 08-03-2009 at 04:36 AM.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

It makes since, I would think that a deer would try and figure out what the smell is.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

You all go ahead and try it this hunting season and let me know how you did. I'll just stick to showering in scent free soap, washing my clothes in scent free detergent, brushing my teeth with baking soda, and rubbing weeds and pine needles on my clothing before I get into my stand.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:53 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by superstrutter
You all go ahead and try it this hunting season and let me know how you did. I'll just stick to showering in scent free soap, washing my clothes in scent free detergent, brushing my teeth with baking soda, and rubbing weeds and pine needles on my clothing before I get into my stand.
X2 Man........
Old 08-04-2009, 02:59 AM
Dominant Buck

Might lure a dumb one.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by superstrutter

In all seriousness, would you say that routine has helped much? I mean, what is the difference in numbers of deer seen since you started doing this vs. before?

I'm considering doing this as well. Right now, I just use a scent killer and didn't want to spend the money and effort for all that if it didn't make too much of a difference. I'm trying to get as many opinions as possible.

As for cologne, I definitely never thought of trying that. Not sure I would. Think of it this way, why would the industry market all the products to kill your scent, or make you smell like something they know, if they were so curious to strange smells? If that worked so well, you'd think someone would have marketed that and figured out the scent they are attracted to the most that's not natural to their environment.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:19 AM
Spike

My father in law would shower with an apple scented body wash when he would hunt in an apple orchard and never once had a problem of being winded even when the deer would come in downwind of him
Old 08-04-2009, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by elgallo114
In all seriousness, would you say that routine has helped much? I mean, what is the difference in numbers of deer seen since you started doing this vs. before?

I'm considering doing this as well. Right now, I just use a scent killer and didn't want to spend the money and effort for all that if it didn't make too much of a difference. I'm trying to get as many opinions as possible.
I truly believe the more scent free you try to make yourself, the more deer you will see. It's worked for me all these years. Some will say just hunt the wind. That's okay when you have a wind blowing in one direction, but the problem is, most of the time wind is variable. It could blow from any direction at any time. I'm prepared just in case this happens. I'm not saying my scent has never spooked deer, but I've been far more successful because of all my scent free preparation. As for the cost, it's not that bad at all. You can buy all the detergent, deodorant, baking soda, and soap you need for a whole season for $50 to $60. I buy the Arm & Hammer unscented deodorant at Walmart instead of the hunting brands. It's the same thing and it costs a whole lot less. The weeds and pine needles are free.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.