Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Colone

Old 08-04-2009, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is what I thought....deer when they smell your Body odar they brerak as soon as they smell it so why wouldnt they do the same with a colone?Just wonderen if this makes since
Old 08-04-2009, 06:29 PM
Fork Horn

You might get a curious yearling to check it out. But the big bucks, .....well, they don't get big by being dumb.

No offense, but i personally think the cologne story is a bunch of bull.

I used to have a friend say he smoked ciggarettes all the time and always killed bucks. Upwind bucks maybe. But more often than not i'm sure the smoke hurt his chances.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:19 PM
Fork Horn

Maybe try cigs, my dad smokes like a freight train and slays them, lol.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:19 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by kevin1
Might lure a dumb one.
All the more reason to get rid of it, right? Natural selection! They all taste about the same anyway, no?
Old 08-05-2009, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by elgallo114
In all seriousness, would you say that routine has helped much? I mean, what is the difference in numbers of deer seen since you started doing this vs. before?

I'm considering doing this as well. Right now, I just use a scent killer and didn't want to spend the money and effort for all that if it didn't make too much of a difference. I'm trying to get as many opinions as possible.
Without a doubt! i have completely changed my routine. I used to see a few deer a year. last year i had 6 bucks within bow range. i went from seeing bucks to getting close to bucks. i can now stalk to within 15 yards of bucks if the wind stays decent. my closest encounter is currently 8 yards. last year i had deer walk completely around the base of the tree i was in.

think about how many bacteria sit in your mouth. especially as early as we get up and rush around sometimes. anything i can do to give me a couple extra seconds to calm that deers nerves is something that will help me be successful.

as for Cologne. i would like to know what distance he is killing these deer at. if its at like 75 yards with a rifle then the cologne has very little effect. if its with a bow under 30 yards im calling bs
Old 08-06-2009, 05:27 AM
Spike

The Cologne idea sounds pretty rediculous, but I have heard of someone who takes a limberger cheese sandwich with him and kill quite a few. Not trying it myself though. will stick with the tried and true idea of being scent free.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah I have been hunting with my uncle before I swear he is the luckiest SOB in the world he has set in a stand smoked talked on his cellphone and killed deer down wind,upwind and every other sind I was with him once he was doing both smoken and talken in regular tone all of a sudden here comes a 110 inch 8 point(for us horns dont matter we care bout eaten not the trophy's)he says ill call you back he stands up says im gonna kill it...he draws his bow back(cig still in his mouth) the buck steps 15 yards away never looks up never tries to wind us and he kills it....and that is a old buck 7 and a half he has to be a smart deer their was no wind at all but still how can he not smell the smoke and hear him talken from 15 yards he would look up and stair but never would run he was a good healthy deer to it confuses the crap outa me any of you got any idea's?
Old 08-06-2009, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

The talking I can't see but the tobacco smoke is no big deal to them.Drop some unfiltered cigs on the ground and they will eat them.I saw this with fenced deer,they're like goats.The first deer I killed was sniffing the dip I had spit out.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:22 AM
Fork Horn

Ok...I subscribe to the keep clean and scent free camp, BUT (and I have mentioned this in other posts) I have an uncle who thinks that I am nuts...

He always showers, washes his hair, and shaves every morning before a hunt (no hunters shampoo...basic dial soap, sauve shampoo, etc). Then he splashes on a generous handful of Brute 33 cologne...(I told him he is confusing hunting for dating!).

He laughs and tells me that the deer do not associate his cologne with danger, and are curious to the smell. He claims that deer come from downwind right to him.

He limits out every year, and the deer he kills are both big (120-160 inch BC) and close (his last buck was 3 feet away). His house looks like a cabela's deer display.

Does it work? I can not honestly say, but I just might try it this year in a couple of spots. I will let you know if I kill a monster buck trying to sniff me.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

good luck with trying it out. i dont think i would. unless i was goin into a buddies spot and didnt want him seeing anything .lol

Really good luck though hope it works for ya.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.