Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Before video camera and scent loc ? >

Before video camera and scent loc ?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Before video camera and scent loc ?

Old 06-25-2009, 06:28 AM
Typical Buck

Default Before video camera and scent loc ?

Last night my 10 year old son and I where fishing and talking about the up coming deer season. We where talking about lures and scent for both deer hunting and trapping. His first question was "dad how did people hunt before scent loc or scent away sprays ?" Fred Bear did not wear or use them from what he had read or seen of old vidoes. I told him that as far as I was aware Fred Bear did not use scent away spray and scent loc did not come around until after he had passed. I explaned that before scent away spray most deer hunters washed there clothes in baking soda and then put them in trash bags and sometimes add leaves in the bags. Baking soda at that time was the ticket and used alot. I remember not only washing my clothes in it but taking a shower with it and brushing by teeth with it. My uncle would mix baking soda and water togather and spray down with it while hunting. As for scent blocker clothing I advised that someone found that by putting carbon in clothes and stitching it very tight it helped reduce odor and that over time more and more things have came about. He then ask does it realy work ? I told him that I belive that it works some in helping reduce odor cause studies show there is no way to stop odor. The clothing is just a aid in helping get close to game. finaly as far as vidoeing it started as a way to recall hunts then somebody seen that money could be made from it and that is why we have hunting shows and dvd's. He advised that he like the shows but it seemed they were all about what to use when hunting. This realy got me thinking that the sport I love so much is becoming all about money. It appears to young peple that if you don't wear or shoot certain items then don't hunt.
I remember when the first vioes where at lot about helping hunter lean how to hunt not how big the rack needs to be. Does anyone else feel this way ? Good Hunting.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Before video camera and scent loc ?

I truly believe that the commercialization of the sport is one factor that has led to a reduction in the numbers of hunters entering the sport. I too bemoan the loss of Fred Bear and Howard Hill, and their philosophies regarding hunting.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is exactly why we need to teach our children how to hunt instead of them learning it from the Outdoor Channel. You're doing the right thing. Television hunting is most definitely all about marketing. When someone like Stan Potts can be taken seriously, there's definitely something wrong.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

As hard as it may be for some to comprehend my grandfather, my father and myself all hunted very sucessfully not only deer but elk and antelope without a stitch of camo, no scent block, no tree stands, no video, wearing red shirts and hats with rifles that had a max range of something less than 100 yds.

We are our own worse enemy when it comes to making it "all about the buck".

Watching a video of someone elses hunt is like watching other people have sex. Looks fun but it lacks in feeling.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:17 AM
Fork Horn

I'vebeen sayingthat for a while now. The over commercialization is ruining the sport, and driving the price of everything skyhigh.

I cant believe new bows cost $800, dozen arrows cost $140 and so on........
I think it is driving a lot of people to stop buying the stuff, and just give up on the sport. I will never stop hunting as long as I can still do it and can afford to buy equipment, but I can see why someone would just give it up. Or someone new who is introduced to the sport would not want to get into it.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

AMEN!!
Old 06-25-2009, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow!!!
I agree whole heartily...
My question/statement is the whole world has been like this for decades not just hunting...
Truly depressing isn't it???

Sounds like your boy has a gift few people possess... Common-scents
Old 06-25-2009, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

The deer were dumber then!
Old 06-25-2009, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, they never looked up!
Old 06-25-2009, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

scent-lock, food plots, cover scents, feeders, game trail cameras, canned hunts& filming hunts. All have taken away from the true sport of hunting.

Quick Reply: Before video camera and scent loc ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.