HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Before video camera and scent loc ?
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2009, 06:28 AM
RJPOUTDOORS
Typical Buck

Default Before video camera and scent loc ?

Last night my 10 year old son and I where fishing and talking about the up coming deer season. We where talking about lures and scent for both deer hunting and trapping. His first question was "dad how did people hunt before scent loc or scent away sprays ?" Fred Bear did not wear or use them from what he had read or seen of old vidoes. I told him that as far as I was aware Fred Bear did not use scent away spray and scent loc did not come around until after he had passed. I explaned that before scent away spray most deer hunters washed there clothes in baking soda and then put them in trash bags and sometimes add leaves in the bags. Baking soda at that time was the ticket and used alot. I remember not only washing my clothes in it but taking a shower with it and brushing by teeth with it. My uncle would mix baking soda and water togather and spray down with it while hunting. As for scent blocker clothing I advised that someone found that by putting carbon in clothes and stitching it very tight it helped reduce odor and that over time more and more things have came about. He then ask does it realy work ? I told him that I belive that it works some in helping reduce odor cause studies show there is no way to stop odor. The clothing is just a aid in helping get close to game. finaly as far as vidoeing it started as a way to recall hunts then somebody seen that money could be made from it and that is why we have hunting shows and dvd's. He advised that he like the shows but it seemed they were all about what to use when hunting. This realy got me thinking that the sport I love so much is becoming all about money. It appears to young peple that if you don't wear or shoot certain items then don't hunt.
I remember when the first vioes where at lot about helping hunter lean how to hunt not how big the rack needs to be. Does anyone else feel this way ? Good Hunting.