Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Before video camera and scent loc ? >

Before video camera and scent loc ?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Before video camera and scent loc ?

Old 06-25-2009, 11:08 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Before video camera and scent loc ?

There have been gimmicks and snake oil as long as there have been hunters who wanted an easier way to kill game, some of them become accepted, and some don't.Most of us are old enough to remember when a new fangled thing called "Hollis Allen's Arrow Launching Device" came on the market, he didn't dare call it a bow since he probably would've been lynched by the tradionalists back then, but most of us carry one now. We often laugh at some of the more questionable camo patterns today, yet nobody questioned why a guy wearing a red plaid jacket was less likely to be seen by game than a fella wearing a solid red one back in 1948 because the study of vision in game was still just a dream. Do we need many of the things we lug into the woods each year? No, but it sure is fun!
Old 06-25-2009, 12:06 PM
Typical Buck

Everybody seems to like new technology,but that same technology is what makes everything so expensive.That and the desire to make money,I mean some of the prices for some of the hunts that are being offered today is crazy,but they all seem to book up I guess there are a lot of people with the money to spend on them.I just can't see myself spending 5000.00 or more for a trophy buck,I don't think I would feel very proud of myself either.With that said hunting is no different than anything else in this world,greed and money and power.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

The first "camo" was plaid flannel cloths.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I actually think modern bowhunting started this trend to make everyone think that contraptions and gimmicks are necessary to be successful at hunting. Bowhunting is supposed to be a primitive way to hunt, but one surely wouldn't say that when you look at what the modern bowhunter carries afield. I think many gun hunters have more primitive equipment than the typical bowhunter these days. I think someone with good hunting skills will be MORE successful hunting in a 3 piece suit and black loafers than someone with the most up to date equipment but who has poor hunting skills.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Agreed Steve863
Old 06-26-2009, 05:31 AM
Typical Buck

Amazing I've been an elk guide for over 20years and when someone asks me what scents and scent lok type suits i use and when the answer comes back that I don't use em they go in shock. I've stalked closet enough to smack elk on the rump without all that gadgetry. Some of the best scent cover you'll ever find is from the animal that walked before you. Mind your wind direction and move like they move you'll find the rest is just a marketing tool. Why no scent lok suit? Anyone that's ever hiked the mountains after elk will know your not gonna stop the persperation. I don't know much about sitting in tree stands but i know if you want to have a better chance of taking an animal from a stand i'm sure a lot of scent covers would help a lot. Baiting and food plotting works too in the state's it's legal. I wear camo and i even have a camo cowboy hat just for kicks. Is it necessary no, but it does give you an advantage. Just for a heads up in the rocky mountains Natural Gear Camo is the best camo for blending in grasses, aspens, pines, and brush. It's lighter and not so dark as mossy oak or real tree. Animals don't tend to like dark bushes that move.

I do agree we have become gadget dependant in hunting. I know where an big bull is not from trail cams but from spotting time from time to time all summer and fall. Not easy to do as they move from bacherlor groups to gathering cows. I believe in spot and stalk and letting your true nature as a predator come out. Not all men are created equal but some of us are beasts.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:35 AM
Typical Buck

Sort of a Update, I admitt that I do wear scent loc and remember the old days just going and hunting. That is why I'm going to show him some of the old school methods you might say. He knows to always play the wind when hunting. However, I'm going to show him how to make his owe scent away spray and stuff. This is going to be a fun year, good hunting.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have no problem with any hunter that uses cover scents, attractants, scent loc suits, etc.
If you think it helps, by all means use it.

Personally, I don't use any of these. Hunting the wind is always paramount,THE most important part of being successful.
Also, hunters that underestimate the deer's sense of smell are making the biggest possible mistake.

I firmly believe a deer that is downwind of me, will not smell me.
Upwind, he will always smell me regardless of what I try to use to cover my nasty, human scent.
The deer will also know I was in his woods if I fail to wear gloves and touch branches, limbs, brush, etc with my bare hands.

I know fellow hunters that try to be as scent free as possible yet they put on their hunting clothes and boots without using light gloves.
Again, human scent is disposed on clothing for the deer to smell.

Common sense can go a long way and appreciation of the deer's ability to smell is most important.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

There were many days in my youth that I remember my dadleaving the house wearing plaid fannel shirts and jeans to go hunting. He also smoked cigarettes back thenand drank coffee on the way to the stand; sometimes smoking in the deer stand[&:][>:]but still managed to kill alot of bucks.

I agree that the commercialization ofhunting is hurting people coming into the sport. Isee fellow hunters spend a couple hundred on scent-lock[:'(]and $1500 bow setups when all they need are the basic essentials to harvest deer. In my case, I would rather join ahunting club every year and know there are plenty of deer to hunt that blow all that money on equipment to hunt heavily-pressured public land.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:50 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with what everyone has said. I buy my camoflauge at walmart and its not fancy smansy stuff. its just basic realtree stuff. and I dont have some crazy expensive set up. I have a bear element, a very inexpensive, but reliable bow. I also bought a basic two prong rest and a single pin sight that is set at 30 yards. both ran me about 20-30 dollars. and I shoot xx75 arrows. so my whole set up is about $400. although this seems expensive, A basic matthew bow, withouht any sights or anything on it can run someone about 700.. i think this is just ridiculous. They all do the same job. and if you just become real familiar with your basic equipment and you practice often enough with it, you can be more accurate and be more successful in the field than someone with all sorts of expensive equipment. I think its gettin ridiculous all the gadgets and gizmos. I mean, it doesnt even take skill to judge distances and such while bow hunting now that we have range finders..In general, I cant stand caged hunts. I think its ridiculous and i would be embarrased to shoot something in a cage. I really would. I liek to know that my hard work on my little 80 acres helps provide life, and for me, thats more than any bought hunt no matter how big the buck.. and Im just 18.. im actually going to school for wildlife managment because I want to help our hunting heritage..

Quick Reply: Before video camera and scent loc ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.