Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

pistol scope info. needed

Old 06-23-2009, 05:24 AM
Fork Horn

Default pistol scope info. needed

i bought a T/C Contender .45/70.a few years ago.(dont know why now) have never used it because of the scope on it.took it to the range one time tried to sight in.no luck.my eyes arent what they use to be.dont know whats on it now. just says t/c.has muzzle break on it so i cant use open sights.dont want to put to much more money in it.is there a easy to see through scope thats not to pricey out there?was going to trade in for a .45 single action but shops wont give me any good trade-in for it.just sits in gun cabnet.been using my .44 mag. with open sights.great deer gun.its a shame not to use the t/c it is a nice gun.just cant hit anything with it.any suggestions? dont know much about pistol scopes.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: pistol scope info. needed

I've got a contender with a 30-30 barrel that I use for deer. It's got a Bushnell red dot scope that works out very well.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:06 AM
Typical Buck

i like burris pistol scopes the best, 2x7x32 . the bushnell 2x7's are not bad. i just don't care for the red dot's ,i always worry about dead batteries. plus you must remeber to turn it on and off.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:11 PM
Typical Buck

i wouldn't buy a 2x scope not enough power even in the woods. i've own 7 savage strikers, 4 xp100 remingtons and a few tc pistols. all had scopes ,everyone i bought that only a 2x or less i hated,and sold.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:55 PM
Fork Horn

OK now. I am a bit new to the contender world. However, you said it had a muzzle break. Are you sure it's not a choke. If it has a choke on it, it will never shoot bullets with acceptable accuracy. So far my contender experience has not gone well. I have a 30-30 barrel that has too tight of tollerances. The rim of some of the cartridges are too thick to let the action close completely.
Now on the scopes... I have three and they are all 2x -- I hate them. Not nearly enough power for what I want to do. Good luck.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:46 AM
Typical Buck

right,get a 2x7 at least. you won't need all that power everytime out,but you'll have it when you need it.

i've seen lots of problems with contenders ,i like the savage striker. i've owned them in 243,25-06,260 ,7mm-08 and 22-250. they all will shoot 3in groups at 300yds. i shoot my rem xp-100 way more then anything else. its a great varmint gun out to 250-300yds if you have the right rest to shoot off of. its a 221 fireball.

i see so many guys buying pistols to deer hunt with that don't realize that you must have a near perfect setup when hunting to be accurate. you are going to have to let more game walk then ever before when you start out handgun hunting.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:46 PM
Fork Horn

the contender does have a muzzle brake on a 14 inch barrel to help with the 45-70 recoil(why would they put a choke on a .45-70?) shoots fine just junk scope.as far as pistol hunting,i use a double action .44 mag. with open sights,8 inch barrel.75 yard shots no problem.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:00 PM
Typical Buck

The TC "Hunter Barrels" are ported / have a muzzle brake . I put a Red Dot scope on my 44 mag hunter barrel and after about 30 rounds the dials felt loose . I would think the 45-70 might have a bit more recoil .........
Old 06-27-2009, 03:36 AM
Fork Horn

ya,kicks like a mule,straight back.but i think they want about $200.00 for a new barrel with a nickel finish. can they install open sights on a pistol with a muzzle brake on it?would that work?