Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

When is the rut?

Old 06-10-2009, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default When is the rut?

When is the rut in Alabama?.I think it is the middle of January.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: When is the rut?

yes.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have hunted in SE Alabama since 1974. Jjust south ofMontgomery in Hardaway and Fitzpatrick. Near Union Springs in Midway. And NNE of Eufaula near Pittsview.The peak of the time when bucks are chasing does in Midway and Fitzpatrick has always been about Jan. 10 or later. There have been a few seasons when the action there did not start up until almost the end of our season which is Jan. 31.

However .... a few years ago I started hunting near Pittsview, which is about30 miles NNE of Eufaula.The activity there is definitely different. Around November 25 through about December 15, there is a time when bucks are bumping does hard. Some years this has been the best time to catch big boys out running does. Other years it has been more or less as dead as a door knob !I have no clue why. Every year I have hunted there, around mid -January, as in the other areas I hunt, the activity picks up. Bucks are chasing does all over the lease.Last year the perfect tiemwas about Jan. 8. Year before the month of January was dead until the very last week.

As far as I can tell, theOctober - early November "rut" that I read about so much being the case up north ... well that has not happened where I hunt.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:52 PM

something i have always went off of is whenever the first really good frost is then abouta week after the rut will be startin
Old 06-11-2009, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Crbaker, the peak of the rut has nothing to do with the weather, temp., moon phase etc., it will take place within 2-4 days of when it did last year, the year before that, the decade before that and the century before that. And that wont change unless the earth some how gets knocked off its axis. Pike
Old 06-12-2009, 05:44 AM

Okay J Pike
I think that your wrong about that one but what everyone I ever talk to about the rut and I see what I am saying. It may be coincendental but everywhere I have hunted the rut starts right after a real hard frost.
I was just giving the information I gathered. Now J Pike since you are the best hunter out there and know everything about hunting then go ahead and pass your information. Let other hunters use the information givin as they choose. Do not go doggin on others because you think their information is wrong. There is no proven fact to know when exactly the rut is. And weather and temp has a lot to do with the rut kickin off.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

cr. A doe will come into estrous this year within a day or 2 of when she did last year and the year before. regardless of what the weather is, Temp, moon phase or even if Brett Farve stays retired or decides to come out of retirement yet again. The amount of light in the day is what triggers a whitetail doe to enter into her estrous cycle. And like I said the only way that will change is if the earth some how gets knocked of its axis.
Here in PA. and im sure the MS. DNR does the same, the PGC. does fedus studies each and every year and every year the majority of our doe's come into estrous from Nov. 11th thru Nov. 14th regardless of the weather conditions etc. I know Nov11th thru the 14th will not be the peak of the rut in MS. but all you have to do is check with the MS. DNR and they will tell when it is. Hope this helps. Pike
Old 06-12-2009, 11:22 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: J Pike

cr. A doe will come into estrous this year within a day or 2 of when she did last year and the year before. regardless of what the weather is, Temp, moon phase or even if Brett Farve stays retired or decides to come out of retirement yet again. The amount of light in the day is what triggers a whitetail doe to enter into her estrous cycle. And like I said the only way that will change is if the earth some how gets knocked of its axis.
Here in PA. and im sure the MS. DNR does the same, the PGC. does fedus studies each and every year and every year the majority of our doe's come into estrous from Nov. 11th thru Nov. 14th regardless of the weather conditions etc. I know Nov11th thru the 14th will not be the peak of the rut in MS. but all you have to do is check with the MS. DNR and they will tell when it is. Hope this helps. Pike
Correct. Except for the part about Brett Farvrvre. The Earth will likely tip if he comes out of retirement...again.

Weather or moon phase have nothing to do with the rut.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:26 AM

Enough J Pike,
Like I said my theory may be totally coincidental but you still have no right to bash it.
Yes your right states do studies and say when the rut will be buttheir studies are like a weather man predicting the weather.
we all know how predictions are nothing more than an educated guess and every year i have hunted the researchers were not correct with their studies doesnt mean they were not close some years but never right.

for example in oregon in 2005 the rut started Oct 20 area
oregon in 2006 the rut started late November
oregon in 2007 the rut started early november
oregon in 2008 the rut started about the 15 of october
for 2009? a week after a hard frost enough said
oh and with those dates whats ur guess on the with in 2-4 days thing? what can you go off of the dates are not even close.
tell me those dates are with in two days
get over yourself just because a f*cking scientist or in this case a biologist says one thing does not mean that it will happen. they cant predict the future!
Old 06-12-2009, 11:33 AM

in mississippi last years rut jan 16th ish the first hard frost was around my birthday jan 8th?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.