Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New Hunter, tips anyone?

Old 06-03-2009, 04:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default New Hunter, tips anyone?

Alright, im a new hunter. I'm taking my hunters education course on the 11th-13th. I've grown up around guns and hunting and its now my turn to have some fun. Im 15 and looking for a good deer rifle.

I've taken the .308, .270 and the 30-06 into serious consideration. I'm 185 lbs and 6'0 if that helps with picking out a caliber.

Any tips on anything hunting, particularly a gun is greatly appreciated. Oh and by the way my price range is 300-500.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: New Hunter, tips anyone?

Okay, as long as our dealer can get it i am getting the Marlin XL7.

Now my question is what scope should i get and what caliber?
I'm leaning toward the .308, ny input is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

308 is a great caliber for deer and bear. You will be well served with one. Scope-wise, a 3x9 seems to be the standard, but I think a 2x7 is a better all-around selection. Low power for upclose shooting in brush, and 7 power is plenty to look for horns. I end up keeping mine on 4x most of the time anyway.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:36 AM
Spike

Get a scope powerful enough to clearly identify other hunters.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:36 AM
Fork Horn

What about a .270? I haven't seen much about them..
Old 06-04-2009, 10:10 AM
Fork Horn

First of all, it's great to see youngsters like yourself excited about hunting. It will give you a lifetime of enjoyment and great memories.

I have two .30-06's and one .270, and I think that they are both great all around cartridges. You've made some very good and wise choices so far ..... excellent job. The '06 is the most versatile caliber you've listed, and the .270 is a little flatter shooting/less recoil. They are my two favorite cartridges. I give the nod slightly to the '06, just because if it's versatility.

In the 300-500 dollar range, I know you like the Marlin, but I suggest that you be patient and look for a good, quality used gun. You'll be able to get a lot more value for your dollar. It's amazing how many used guns are hardly shot. Let someone else take the financial hit for depreciation!

As far as scopes, take a look at the Optics and firearms forums on this site. A ton of great information and opinions -- enough to drive you crazy! I'd recommend a quality 3-9x40 like a Leupold VX-2, Bushnell 4200, or Nikon Monarch, but there are many great options out there to choose from.

Again, welcome to the sport!
Old 06-04-2009, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

The .270 is probably the all around most popular. I have a Browning A-Bolt WSMand a Ruger M77 in .270. I have also owned a Rem. 700, but sold it to a friend years ago. Not that it was a bad gun, the 700 is a great gun. Any of these three are excellent guns. The .270 is a flat shooting caliber, especially the WSM. They are great for short and long range and pack plenty of power. The .308 is a good choice also. I have one of them too, but I prefer the .270. It's all aboutpersonal preference. As for scopes, if you can afford it, look at the Zeiss Conquest. In the $200 to $400 range, check out the Nikon Monarch series , Burris Fullfield, and Bushnell Elite series. I would stay away from Bushnell unless it is in the Elite seris.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:55 AM
Fork Horn

First of all, it's great to see youngsters like yourself excited about hunting. It will give you a lifetime of enjoyment and great memories.

I have two .30-06's and one .270, and I think that they are both great all around cartridges. You've made some very good and wise choices so far ..... excellent job. The '06 is the most versatile caliber you've listed, and the .270 is a little flatter shooting/less recoil. They are my two favorite cartridges. I give the nod slightly to the '06, just because if it's versatility.

In the 300-500 dollar range, I know you like the Marlin, but I suggest that you be patient and look for a good, quality used gun. You'll be able to get a lot more value for your dollar. It's amazing how many used guns are hardly shot. Let someone else take the financial hit for depreciation!

As far as scopes, take a look at the Optics and firearms forums on this site. A ton of great information and opinions -- enough to drive you crazy! I'd recommend a quality 3-9x40 like a Leupold VX-2, Bushnell 4200, or Nikon Monarch, but there are many great options out there to choose from.

Again, welcome to the sport!
Thanks, this helped quite a bit.
The guy I am buying through can get me a .270, .308 and 30-06 at $446, and these are brand new. They are the savage rifles with accu trigger and 3-9x40mm scope.

All im debating now is the caliber, is there any advice on choosing a caliber?
I'm guessing .308 or 30-06 because there is a possibility i will be doing some elk and bear hunting.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: fishguts

Get a scope powerful enough to clearly identify other hunters.
Yikes!!!!..........Never use your rifle scope to identify other hunters. That's what binoculars are for.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:26 AM
Fork Horn

Yikes!!!!..........Never use your rifle scope to identify other hunters. That's what binoculars are for.
Yes, this I know. I've been shooting since i was 7, i know the dangers of a firearm. I just try to ignore stupid/sarcstic posts like that..

Quick Reply: New Hunter, tips anyone?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.