HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New Hunter, tips anyone?
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2009, 10:55 AM
kyhunter93
Fork Horn

Default RE: New Hunter, tips anyone?

First of all, it's great to see youngsters like yourself excited about hunting. It will give you a lifetime of enjoyment and great memories.

I have two .30-06's and one .270, and I think that they are both great all around cartridges. You've made some very good and wise choices so far ..... excellent job. The '06 is the most versatile caliber you've listed, and the .270 is a little flatter shooting/less recoil. They are my two favorite cartridges. I give the nod slightly to the '06, just because if it's versatility.

In the 300-500 dollar range, I know you like the Marlin, but I suggest that you be patient and look for a good, quality used gun. You'll be able to get a lot more value for your dollar. It's amazing how many used guns are hardly shot. Let someone else take the financial hit for depreciation!

As far as scopes, take a look at the Optics and firearms forums on this site. A ton of great information and opinions -- enough to drive you crazy! I'd recommend a quality 3-9x40 like a Leupold VX-2, Bushnell 4200, or Nikon Monarch, but there are many great options out there to choose from.

Again, welcome to the sport!
Thanks, this helped quite a bit.
The guy I am buying through can get me a .270, .308 and 30-06 at $446, and these are brand new. They are the savage rifles with accu trigger and 3-9x40mm scope.

All im debating now is the caliber, is there any advice on choosing a caliber?
I'm guessing .308 or 30-06 because there is a possibility i will be doing some elk and bear hunting.