Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

anyone had a deer cam stolen?

Old 01-23-2002, 08:38 PM

Default anyone had a deer cam stolen?

i want to buy a deer cam bad, but they are very expensive. my main concern is how many are stolen off the tree by theifs? all experiences are welcome thanks, i'm trying to decide if i should get one.
Old 01-24-2002, 01:38 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: anyone had a deer cam stolen?

Beretta
I bought my Camtrakker last summer and just love it. However every time I go to check on it I'm wondering if it will be there. I haven't had a problem yet(knock on wood)...but unfortunately, I can't (or won't) put it up in some prime locations for fear of some lowlife walking off with it. We've had treestands and treesteps stolen so I'm sure they wouldn't hesitate on taking a $400+ camera.

This past fall I shot a huge buck during bow season and I got a pic of him on my camera 18 days before I shot him. In the pic he had a second mainbeam coming off the right side...but when I shot him he had broken it off fighting at some point(about 11&quot. Without the pic I would have never known what his rack looked like before...that pic alone was worth all the risks I've taken putting that camera up!

TB
Old 01-24-2002, 06:08 AM

Thats why I havnt bought one yet. Although there is a site http://www.jesseshuntingpage.com/homebrew-cams.htmlthat shows you how to build your own for a third of the price. My buddies and I are making these our winter prodject,for spring.
Old 01-24-2002, 07:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

The deer cam is almost like a deer stand. You can chain it, cable it, lock it or whatever. But if someone wants it bad enough, they will take it. Nothing is totally safe from theft. Nobody is there to watch over it 100% of the time.

My Updated Page with Colorado 2001 Trip-
www.geocities.com/hfpmad

Old 01-24-2002, 04:54 PM

I had one stolen this fall. I had left it up during hunting season but it was in an area that was suposed to have absolutely no hunting what so ever in it. I had checked it in the evening of the first Saturday of the season and had planned on removing it but it only had 8 photos on it so I thought I would leave it until the next thursday when I would be able to pick it up. It was gone as of first light Thursday morning. I was very upset but there was nothing I could do about it, I guess I should have taken it home on the Saturday. I have another home made one but am leary about putting it out now until I can at least find some kind of locking system to help deter thieves.
Cam's Hunting Page
Old 01-24-2002, 05:51 PM

i have 4 of them, havent had 1 stolen. w/some set ups u can chain them 2 a tree and lock. i made mine from the link listed above. it is pretty easy once u get it figured out, have 2 b really carefull w/the solder iron, i ruined 1 camera trying 2 solder the wires 2 it, i would sell 2 of them for $140.00, they work great, 4 is just 2 many. e-mail me if interested.
Old 01-24-2002, 07:18 PM

I just got mine and I am trying to be cautious but if it does happen another season will be in. Hunting for a theif!
Old 01-27-2002, 10:13 PM

I've thought about getting some signs made up at my local print shop and put them in the woods. Once someone is far enough on my property (btw they have passed the no trespassing signs) then I know they are up to no good. The signs would read "Caution: Trail Cameras are present. If you care to steal anything your picture has already been taken." I have only one camera but it would make them think about where the "other" cameras may be if they spotted my camera. BUT some people just don't care and would take it anyway. Heck they still rob banks don't they?