Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Stolen Deer?

Old 10-30-2003, 07:55 AM

Default Stolen Deer?

Anybody ever have a deer stolen from them? I wonder whether to leave deer tagged in woods while I take equipment out first. Ever been robbed of one?
Old 10-30-2003, 08:05 AM

Default RE: Stolen Deer?

1995, had a 5 point stolen from camp, biggest deer i have ever shot but my son and i took pictures so at least i have them,, in montana you are supposed to tag upon kill,, i have never heard of one stolen in the woods
Old 10-30-2003, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I made a poor shot on a +20 inch 9 point about 10 years ago and had to trail it a ways. The deer ran toward the road and when I topped the hill where I could see the road, there were two guys loading my deer in their pickup. It had died right next to the road. I hollered at them but that only hurried them up and I never saw them or my deer again.
Old 10-30-2003, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

A deer was " stolen" from a close friend a few years back. He actually shot a buck thru the heart and as it ran about 40 yds he heard another shot and the second guy put his tag on it as my buddy was getting down from his self climber. Personally, I would not leave a deer unattended in the woods unless I was certain it was close by. I have dragged a few bucks out of the woods by myself, along with myrifle, self climber etc...I take my time and drag the deer as far as I can, then return to get my stuff and bring it a hundred yds or so pass the deer. It may take me hours before I finally get to my truck, but to me, it' s worth it. Fortunately I shot the deer early in the day and had the luxury of time on my side. Had it happened during the last hour od daylight, I would have made a phone call real quick....
Old 10-30-2003, 08:25 AM

I had a friend get one stolen last year. He shot it with his bow and it ran close to a well location. They must have seen it fall. He heard a tailgate and a truck leave. The road to the location goes through his hunting property. He never saw who it was. It was his first deer with his bow.
Old 10-30-2003, 09:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yep ,just this morning the stinkin yotes ate it
Old 10-30-2003, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I lost one to some ' yotes too. The next morning we found a leg, an ear, and a few smaller bits.
Old 10-30-2003, 04:26 PM

Sure did, My first nice buck was stolen, It was a bad hit (pretty far back) so I thought I would give it a little extra time to expire, so I took all my gear home, called a friend to help track it. All was going great, a good blood trail to follow, well the deer ran into a cornfield and as we started trackin through the corn we heard a four wheeler take off from the other side. Well we finally ventured over there to where we heard the four wheeler and all we found was a big blood pile and no deer.And by the way I' m still waiting to shoot a good buck with the bow, biggest was a spike.
Old 10-30-2003, 10:26 PM
Spike

I shot a nice buck on the last evening of the season a few years ago. There were no other people around so I thought I would go recruit some help to get the deer to my truck. 1 hr and 30 mins. later we were back and had to run off a group of yotes. Lost rear half of deer, and I have been on a coyote elimination crusade ever since.
Old 10-30-2003, 10:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Once I shot a buck(poor shot) and decided to come back in the morning to give chase. Deciding I was best to wait till sunrise i just sat in my truck sipping coffee, finding the trail and taking my time I was very suprised to see 2 hunters dragging the buck I shot the previous evening. turned out this buck toppled not far from a cutline and these sluffs happened upon him. It was my deer for sure( he was stiff and froze up) I only heard one shot that evening(mine) and never heard one that am. They claimed they shot it the evening prior and finished it off that morning..not much i could do, it wasn' t tagged by me so technically it wasn' t even stolen. It was a large buck but still beyond me why anyone would want to put a tag and claim a deer that wasn' t shot by them. We also had a mule deer head cut off while in the truck bed we were hunting at the time and some fools drove up saw the deer and promptly chopped it' s head off, plain silly and disappointing..again why would anybody do such a thing! We filed a report and it was considering stolen but of course nothing ever came of it, the DNR did give the guy a new tag and took the meat to donate to the food bank. Slobs are what make us work so hard to protect this sport and it is easy to see why we become such an easy target for anti' s[:' (]

Quick Reply: Stolen Deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.