Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 In your opinion , is 6 hunters on 80 heavily wooded acres too crowded? >

In your opinion , is 6 hunters on 80 heavily wooded acres too crowded?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

In your opinion , is 6 hunters on 80 heavily wooded acres too crowded?

Old 05-14-2009, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: In your opinion , is 6 hunters on 80 heavily wooded acres too crowded?

Sounds like a mall parking lot to me.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:33 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: In your opinion , is 6 hunters on 80 heavily wooded acres too crowded?

things could be pretty crowded
Old 05-14-2009, 10:14 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

13 acres per person, assuming folks are somewhat evening spaced. That's actually quite a bit of ground if you ever spend any amount of time hunting a plot of that size. Lot's of times hunters think they are covering a hell of a lot of ground, especially if it is hilly with a lot of cover,and it turns out that they have pretty much been within an area the size of a football field.

I guess it would depend. During Fall bowhunting when there is so much brush that your individual hunting zone may be measured in feet instead of yards, I would not see much problem with it, other than the fact that a running wounded deer may cause trouble for the other hunters. Dunno about being in that close of proximity to folks with rifles, though. Of course, my frame of reference is southern Illinois where it is pretty commong to have several people hunting relatively small pieces of ground with little or no problems.

Would you really have all six people there at the same time. Maybe for opening weekend. If so, there could be some sort of arrangement where some folks hunt mornings and others evenings. The rest of the time, I would think that fewer people would show up at the same time to hunt.
Since I am a deer tracker I guess I wouldn't like it there Lanse. Give me the big woods of Northern Vermont. Maine and New Hampshire....plus the "dacks" in NY. In those places I can walk a little further than a 13 acre piece. Most days I put on several miles because that is the way I like to hunt and rarely see another hunter. And then there is the west where you can walk forever. I only wish I had started to hunt there when I was young. All you easterners and southern boys make a point of getting out and chase a few wild free range elk around. It is humbling and puts a new meaning to the word hunt.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

You might change your mind if youever find yourself sitting ina little plot of Illinois woods and some cornfed monster 16 pointer comes strolling by.[:-]
Old 05-14-2009, 10:52 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

You might change your mind if youever find yourself sitting ina little plot of Illinois woods and some cornfed monster 16 pointer comes strolling by.[:-]
Oh I know I have a buddy who goes outto Ilevery year for the past 12 years and his average is about 160" all with a bow. I think his largest is in the high 180's and he has about 10 mounted. He said the first year he thought it was a joke when the farm owner showed him where to put his stand. It was a real small piece of woods that you could see right through to the field with a small creek going through it. During the rut it turns wild I guess. He said it isn't quite as exciting or safe during the gun season though.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:58 PM
Fork Horn

That's done in Michigan all the time. I know of plenty of camps that have a half dozen hunters on 80-100 acres. When you get 700,000 hunters out in the woods on opening day, that's a lot of people.

In my opinion, guest issues/limits are the biggest problems with any deer camp. A one guest per owner policy sounds fine, but I've seen friendships tarnished from non-owners not following rules, an owner making exceptions for himself and his guests, some not carrying their weight with work and expenses, etc.... Even the best of friends, with the best intentions, seem to struggle with this.

I've seen rules that only owners can hunt the first three to five days of deer season, and after that limited guest rights are allowed. Those types of rules, when strictly enforced, seem to work somewhat....

I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but it's just from my experience. Hope it goes well for you though, and that you have a lot of fun.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think it totally depends on where you hunt in the United States. If you hunt WI and MI, You most likely hunt with a number of people that is unimaginable in other parts of the country. Ive hunted a 40 acre lot in MI with 2 other people and didn't feel too crowded but thought in the back of my mind it was too many. Ive hunted Illinois on 400 acres with 4 guys and thought it was just right because of the large lots of land around me. Guys that hunt out west would think your crazy hunting more than 1 guy per thousand acres but thats where there are 5,000 acre ranches everywhere (I hunted a ranch with 12other guys that was 65,000 acres and the ranch manger thought that was pushing it with too many people. I think its all a matter of where you hunt and what you are used to. I wish I could hunt WI or MI with 1 guy per 80 acres, that would be a dream. Reality though, for the high pressure areas 2 people per 40 is pretty much average. Everywhere Ive hunted in WI of MI Id say the average is 2 per 40 acres and that is all the deer camps ive visited.

I agree with the guy who says those deer will be pushed to that swampy area, you hear countless stories every year about people pulling big bucks out of public land swamps and pressure private land as well. When deer are pressured they go to the thickest areas possible, they know where humans don't want to go and they head there and laugh at us hunters (like me). My buddy hunts next to a 100 acre swamp in Michigan and everywhere within 5 miles a basket 6 pt is a nice deer and he consistly sees and kills nice 8 pointers and sees even bigger deer during bow season that he can't get shots on. Deer love swamps. If I were you and you do hunt this property I would pick a stand site closest too that swamp. Wow, I just ran off topic!
Old 05-15-2009, 05:06 PM
Spike

Seems like a lot to me but if its thick like you say it might work out.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

5 too many for me!
Old 05-15-2009, 09:11 PM
Spike

Its a small area and I think to many,safety an issue even if you know where the others are suppose to be also u have that many shooters in a small area and a few shots will soon clear the area of game.

Quick Reply: In your opinion , is 6 hunters on 80 heavily wooded acres too crowded?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.