HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - In your opinion , is 6 hunters on 80 heavily wooded acres too crowded?
Old 05-15-2009, 08:31 AM
fastetti
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: In your opinion , is 6 hunters on 80 heavily wooded acres too crowded?

I think it totally depends on where you hunt in the United States. If you hunt WI and MI, You most likely hunt with a number of people that is unimaginable in other parts of the country. Ive hunted a 40 acre lot in MI with 2 other people and didn't feel too crowded but thought in the back of my mind it was too many. Ive hunted Illinois on 400 acres with 4 guys and thought it was just right because of the large lots of land around me. Guys that hunt out west would think your crazy hunting more than 1 guy per thousand acres but thats where there are 5,000 acre ranches everywhere (I hunted a ranch with 12other guys that was 65,000 acres and the ranch manger thought that was pushing it with too many people. I think its all a matter of where you hunt and what you are used to. I wish I could hunt WI or MI with 1 guy per 80 acres, that would be a dream. Reality though, for the high pressure areas 2 people per 40 is pretty much average. Everywhere Ive hunted in WI of MI Id say the average is 2 per 40 acres and that is all the deer camps ive visited.

I agree with the guy who says those deer will be pushed to that swampy area, you hear countless stories every year about people pulling big bucks out of public land swamps and pressure private land as well. When deer are pressured they go to the thickest areas possible, they know where humans don't want to go and they head there and laugh at us hunters (like me). My buddy hunts next to a 100 acre swamp in Michigan and everywhere within 5 miles a basket 6 pt is a nice deer and he consistly sees and kills nice 8 pointers and sees even bigger deer during bow season that he can't get shots on. Deer love swamps. If I were you and you do hunt this property I would pick a stand site closest too that swamp. Wow, I just ran off topic!