Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Where can I sight in my rifle? >

Where can I sight in my rifle?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Where can I sight in my rifle?

Old 04-05-2009, 12:51 PM
Typical Buck

Default Where can I sight in my rifle?

There are no gun clubs close enough that do not require a membership.

Can I sight them in on public land or forest crop land? I don't know the legalities of doing so. Any ideas or info would be appreciated, thanks!
Old 04-05-2009, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Where can I sight in my rifle?

I am not an expert on this subject, but I'm sure it depends upon what state you live in.You might want to trya phone callto your local police department.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:58 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: sportsman22

There are no gun clubs close enough that do not require a membership.

Can I sight them in on public land or forest crop land? I don't know the legalities of doing so. Any ideas or info would be appreciated, thanks!
I don't believe so Public hunting grounds are for hunting only, Forest crop is open to hunting ,fishing,walking etc. very few allow target practice such as what you want. How many shots do you want to do?
Redclub
Old 04-05-2009, 07:02 PM
Fork Horn

I have the same trouble as you. I just kept asking around, kind of like finding places to hunt. In fact, one guy I asked told me he had a range set up behind his shop and told me to go use it anytime. Another has some land along a river where I can shoot into a dirt bank. I shoot a lot so I go to the river ground most of the time because it is farther away from houses.

Talk to landowners and tell them what you're looking for. Be up front. If they say no, thank them anyway. If they say yes, ask them if they want to come out and sight in their rifles when you do. You might end up with private land to hunt on.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some public land is open to shooting but that is getting to be few and far between . The only way to know for sure is to check with the local offices .
Old 04-05-2009, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe try to find a range. Right now we have land that I can shoot at. I've been very lucky with this. It's got a great setup for 35 yards off the deck and 100 yards in front of the house. However, we are trying to sell it. We have some more land but it's mostly woods so if this sells I may try to cut down some tree's to make a 100 yard range. The land now is perfect as it's in the mountains so you shoot into the side of the mountain and it's a great backstop. The other land is pretty flat so not sure what I will do if I do that. I also have several friends in that town that have farms that I've used in the past in that area to sight my rifles in. I hunt down that way usually so have sighted a few rifles in along with shot quite a few more on friends land. Everyone down there is kind of friends or family. Well, most everyone and most of the people don't care if you use their land or much else of theirs as long as you ask. The whole town is like a big family kind of.