Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 adding front sight to scope only rifle? >

adding front sight to scope only rifle?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

adding front sight to scope only rifle?

Old 01-09-2007, 03:50 PM

Default adding front sight to scope only rifle?

Is it possible to add a font sight to a scope only rifle? This gun has a octagon shaped barrel. I was just wondering if this requires drilling or is it a pressure sensitive tape? If drilling is the only option then I would probably leave it stock. I just thought that having the option of an aperture sight might be a nice option.
Mike
Old 01-09-2007, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: adding front sight to scope only rifle?

ORIGINAL: HD Road King

Is it possible to add a font sight to a scope only rifle? This gun has a octagon shaped barrel. I was just wondering if this requires drilling or is it a pressure sensitive tape? If drilling is the only option then I would probably leave it stock. I just thought that having the option of an aperture sight might be a nice option.
Mike
Just got your .32?
Old 01-09-2007, 04:50 PM
Dominant Buck

I would check with the barrel maker to insure that this will not compromise the strength or integrity of the barrel. I am sure there is a way, even if one had to be glued to the barrel. There are some pretty impressive glues out there. Perhaps a chat with a gunsmith would produce some better alternatives.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:26 PM

Thanks,
The gun is supposed to be here tomorrow, according to the girl at Green Mountain. I am planning on scoping it but I thought having the option of the aperture might be nice. I will contact Green Mountain before I would decide to drill it.

Preferrably I was thinking that with the octagon shape it should be very easy to mount as for making sure that it is centered. I will have to give some serious thought as to having it tapped. I suppose that I could otherwise just get used to using a scoped rifle. I have never hunted with one except for trying one on my old 30-06. I only took that one out to the woods to see if I could pick up objects with it. That scope was a 4x and I possibly didn't allow enough time with it but I opted for iron sights back then.

I am putting a Williams aperture on the Disc for next years deer season. That is why I was thinking of an aperture sight for the .32 if it would not take away from the guns look or value.

I do like the glued idea as long as it would stay on in different weather conditions. I have used that Gorilla glue and that stuff is like a weld when it sets.

Mike
Old 01-09-2007, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HD Road King

I do like the glued idea as long as it would stay on in different weather conditions. I have used that Gorilla glue and that stuff is like a weld when it sets.

Mike
Aren't some sights soldered on? Like old flintlocks? it would mess up the bluing, but then you could strip it down and brown the barrel if you like that color better.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:49 PM

I wasn't sure how they were attached. I figured that I would see if possibly anyone else has added a front sight to a barrel. I guess that if it would require soldering that I will just learn to usethe scope.

My wife amost killed me last year when I took a brand spankin' new Honda dirt bike and changed out almost all of the stock equipment, the color also went from red to white. I think that I had better use that experience as my lesson learned. I don't think that I could do that to her again, unless I get her some sedatives.

Mike