Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

A question on human scent...

Old 04-03-2009, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: A question on human scent...

Personally, I go through the same ritual of scent control/prevention no matter where I hunt. It may not help as much as some would like to believe, but it can't hurt. Any advatage at all helps no matter how small it may be.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SWThomas

Personally, I go through the same ritual of scent control/prevention no matter where I hunt. It may not help as much as some would like to believe, but it can't hurt. Any advatage at all helps no matter how small it may be.
I have to respectfully disagree. I previously stated that I never use any cover scent or scent killer spray and I always prefer to always hunt the wind. It's not because I don't think these scent controls don't help a little, but we're dealing with an animal that can smell better than most hunters can ever imagine. How can a small advantage help when you're dealing with an animal witha sense of smell that is legendary? Man cannot comprehend how good a deer can smell. You can try to control your scent but if you are upwind of any deer, you will always be busted. Even if you're scentis 99% controlled, which is impossible, a deer will pick up your 1% for fun.

I think all this scent killer stuff is a waste of time and money. The only way to have the deer not smell you is to hunt the wind. His sense of smell is his biggest defense mechanism and it can never, everbe fooled. Just becasue you think you're scent free, doesn't mean the deer does. Save your money and hunt the wind.

Just my 2 cents - so if you disagree, fire away!
Old 04-03-2009, 10:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Jimmy S

ORIGINAL: SWThomas

I have to respectfully disagree. I previously stated that I never use any cover scent or scent killer spray and I always prefer to always hunt the wind. It's not because I don't think these scent controls don't help a little, but we're dealing with an animal that can smell better than most hunters can ever imagine. How can a small advantage help when you're dealing with an animal witha sense of smell that is legendary? Man cannot comprehend how good a deer can smell. You can try to control your scent but if you are upwind of any deer, you will always be busted. Even if you're scentis 99% controlled, which is impossible, a deer will pick up your 1% for fun.

I think all this scent killer stuff is a waste of time and money. The only way to have the deer not smell you is to hunt the wind. His sense of smell is his biggest defense mechanism and it can never, everbe fooled. Just becasue you think you're scent free, doesn't mean the deer does. Save your money and hunt the wind.

Just my 2 cents - so if you disagree, fire away!
I have been within a foot or two of deer and within a couple of yards of elk. They never knew I was there. The liitle mule deer buck was staring me in the face until I gave in and blinked. He saw that and took off down the hill.

I have been in no wind situations, where whitetaildeer came within a couple of feet and never knew I was there.

I have had elk so close it was scary! They did not have clue I was there until they got downwind. WhenI say downwind, I mean a very light, almost not there at all, wind. They walked right by me and spooked after they were just a few feet downwind.

I will always use the wind in my favor, as much as possible. The wind can be your friend or enemy. I have had the wind shift, at the last moment,and ruin my hunt. I carry a wind detector at all times, and use scentkiller and cover scents that I have confidence in at all times.

Old 04-04-2009, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I too have has deer at very close range. The wind was in my favor but once the wind shifted and they picked up my scent, the game was over. IfI usedscent killer, the outcome would have been the same.

I have no problem with anyone that uses these products and if you think it works for you, that's great, continue using them. I would never tell anyone to not do anything they think can increase their odds. I have no right to do that. But, I don't think you can ever cover your scent with these commercial products and fool a deer. They may cut down your scent and help a little but to me, it'slike taking a baby aspirin for a migrane.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I too have has deer at very close range. The wind was in my favor but once the wind shifted and they picked up my scent, the game was over. IfI usedscent killer, the outcome would have been the same.

I have no problem with anyone that uses these products and if you think it works for you, that's great, continue using them. I would never tell anyone to not do anything they think can increase their odds. I have no right to do that. But, I don't think you can ever cover your scent with these commercial products and fool a deer. They may cut down your scent and help a little but to me, it'slike taking a baby aspirin for a migrane.
You should try Hunter Specialties Earth Scent Wafers. The have made me a believer in them. I have killed my last 3 bulls wearing them and all 3 bulls were within 15 to 20 yards. I just started wearing them and had good luck, and the ol' "if it ain't broke don't fix it"rule applies. However' the same rule probably applies to your tactics as well. If your putting them in the dirt I wouldn't change nothing.

I agree with you totally on the wind being the single most important factor in scent cover.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

No saying you're wrong because you may very well be right. But until you actually try some, you're just talking out of your ass.