Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Human scent question

Old 09-03-2006, 08:16 AM
Fork Horn

Default Human scent question

I've got a stand that is around 30' or more up a tree. It is on a hill but not on the tip top. The stand is a good 20'-25' above the very top of the hill though. Other than my path to the stand, Do I have to worry about the deer smelling me in the morning with the thermals rising. I do shower with unscented soap before I hunt and use, scent killer, pine and earth scented wafers. My path in is a bush hogged pasture. I've done very well in the past here with a 13' ladder stand. But I have had a few see me so I went higher this year.Thanks, Scott Woody
Old 09-03-2006, 11:50 AM

Default RE: Human scent question

I'll be trying the same thing, only 25 ft up tho. I was about 15 ft up last year and still got busted a couple times. I use scent killer also, but it can only do so much.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:57 AM
Dominant Buck

Before sunup the air will be moving downhill , thermals are generated by warming air . The deer will most likely be headed uphill at that time , check which way the wind is blowing before hunting that stand . One downside to aerial stands is that while they can help hide your smell from nearby game they can also cause it to carry further away too , the odor molecules will eventuallly sink and the deer will smell you from farther away . With the descenting precautions you've described you should be ok except for directly downwind .
Old 09-03-2006, 06:05 PM

i agree with kevin1..

the wind is your friend or enemy.. depends on how you use it..

i like the scent a way soap, dedorant and dirt scent, on clothes..